Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Millwall Lionesses 0-0 London Bees

19 March 2015

Full-time from the Den

Millwall Lionesses kicked off the new FAWSL 2 campaign with an absorbing goal-less draw against rivals London Bees.

In their first-ever game played under the floodlights at The Den, a crowd of over 200 supporters were thoroughly entertained in a game bossed by Millwall who were thwarted by the brilliance of Bees keeper Sophie Harries.

The Lionesses made the better start of the two teams with an effective high press led by forwards Ciara Sherwood and Rinsola Babajide. After an even opening, the hosts created the first chance of the game on 13 minutes when Lily Agg found Babajide, who drilled her long range effort wide of the left hand post.

Millwall dominated the middle stages of the half and were unlucky not to go in front; Babajide again causing problems with her pace as she beat the Bees offside trap and rounded keeper Sophie Harries before firing over the bar.

London Bees were keen to play on the counter, and this tactic almost paid dividends, when forward Leigh Nicol latched onto a through ball but was stopped by a great recovery tackle from full-back Frankie Strugnell.

The visitors continued to look lively as the first half drew to a close, but the Lionesses were certainly disappointed to go in to the break on level terms and no goals to show for their dominance.

Dan Mlinar's side continued to enjoy the balance of play after the restart, restricting The Bees to long range efforts with their tight defensive structure. That tactic almost ran in the visitors favour shortly after the restart when Nicol hit a fearsome drive from long-range that was well saved by Sarah Quantrill.

Keeper Quantrill was called into action again soon after to keep out another effort from distance from Cheryl Williams, whilst at the other end Megan Goss headed a ball into the path of Agg, but the livewire midfielder shot straight at the Bees custodian.

The biggest chance of the game fell to Millwall and once again to forward Babajide. The WSL debutant beat the visitor's offside trap only to see her shot saved by keeper Harries before firing the rebound wide under pressure.

Rinsola was equally unlucky with a chance just after the hour mark when she met Megan Goss' cross from the right, but saw her left footed shot cannon back off the post.

The Lionesses continued to create chances but were unable to capitalise, forcing keeper Harries into numerous saves. The full time whistle saw both teams claim a share of the spoils as Millwall's search for a first win over the Bees was put on hold once again.

Millwall: Quantrill, Strugnell, Lennon, Cole, Cowan, Fisk, Agg, Babjide (Albert, 78mins), Sherwood (Edwards, 62mins), Billson (Butler, 83mins), Goss. Subs not used: Gibbs, James.

London Bees: Harries, Hurley, Howells (Benson, 80mins), Connor-Iommi, Dempster, Fellows, Goddard, Williams (Georgiou, 65mins), Nicol, Loomes, Fraser (Anderson 65). Subs not used: Riches, Huggins, Wakefield.

Att: 205

Advertisement block