Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Stevenage 0-1 Millwall

25 July 2015

Beevers hits the winner as The Lions continue their unbeaten pre-season

Mark Beevers scored the only goal of the game as Millwall beat Stevenage 1-0 at The Lamex Stadium.

The defender, playing at left-back, fired home from close range after 62 minutes to continue Millwall's unbeaten record so far this pre-season.

The Lions made a fast start to the game with John Marquis leading an immediate attack only to see his cross from inside the box turned away.

Only a minute later a defence-splitting ball from Shaun Williams found Paris Cowan-Hall, whose attempted pass to Lee Gregory was tame and comfortably collected by Stevenage keeper Chris Day.

After 11 minutes Lee Martin, looking bright on his first game this pre-season, delivered a free-kick into the box towards Marquis, whose eventual ball back into the danger area was cleared away.

An intelligent run from the striker then saw him beat the offside trap but his centre towards Gregory, with Cowan-Hall also close by, was again dealt with by the home defence.

With Teddy Sheringham's Boro offering little by the way of an attacking threat early on Millwall kept up the pressure. Abdou, on the edge of the area, found Cowan-Hall, whose shot from 12-yards was blocked.

Seconds later Abdou himself nearly opened the scoring himself only to steer Shaun Cummings' inviting cross wide at the far post.

The Lions called Day into action once more just before the half-hour mark but Byron Webster's header from a Martin corner was comfortable for the keeper. 

Day was a mere spectator for Millwall's next opportunity, however, as Martin and Marquis combined before the latter rolled it to Williams, whose powerful strike from just inside the box rattled the crossbar.

At the other end David Forde's first meaningful action of the half was to deny Tom Pett, who showed clever footwork before firing at goal from 20-yards.

Ed Upson replaced Abdou for the second-half and the midfielder was straight into the thick of the action as he won Millwall a free-kick which Williams struck against the wall.

Lions boss Neil Harris made four changes after 56 minutes, bringing on Jordan Archer, Fred Onyedinma, Jack Powell and Jamie Philpot for Forde, Cowan-Hall, Martin and Gregory.

Onyedinma made a lively start after entering the field, beating his marker down the right before having a cut-back cleared from the six-yard line.

But just moments later Millwall took a deserved lead when Powell's free-kick was met by Mark Beevers, who turned the ball home from close range at the near post.

Three more changes came after 73 minutes when Sid Nelson, Ben Thompson and Joe Martin entered the action, but it did little to disrupt Millwall's control of proceedings in the second-half.

Powell, playing alongside Thompson at the heart of midfield, produced a wonderful diagonal pass over the top to find Marquis, who shot wide after cutting in from the left.

His midfield colleague then came close to doubling Millwall's advantage only to see a powerful effort from outside the box edge just wide in the closing stages.

Millwall: Forde (Archer, 56'); Cummings (Nelson, 73') , Webster, Craig, Beevers (J.Martin, 73'); Cowan-Hall (Onyedinma, 56'), Abdou (Upson, 46'), Williams (Thompson, 73'), L.Martin (Powell, 56'); Marquis, Gregory (Philpot, 56')

Subs: Romeo, Pavey

Scorers: Beevers 62'

Advertisement block