Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Millwall U18s 1 Charlton Athletic U18s 2

9 February 2015

Young Lions pipped by rivals at Calmont Road

Millwall were edged out by the odd goal in three as neighbours Charlton completed a classic smash and grab raid at Calmont Road on Saturday.

The young Lions dominated large spells of the game, but were caught out by two second-half sucker-punches.

Although goal-less at half-time, it was Millwall who enjoyed the greater possession during the first 45 minutes and could have gone in at the break at least a goal to the good.

In the 10th minute Ebere Eze fired just over the Charlton crossbar and minutes later winger Alex Mulrooney-Smith headed wide having ran on to a precision diagonal cross from Noah Chesmain.

A fierce drive from Kyren Mundle-Smith required Charlton goalkeeper Beeney to quickly re-adjust his position in order to complete a good save.

The latter stages of the first period saw Millwall almost make the breakthrough when a clever jinking run and drive on target by Eze had the Charlton keeper at full stretch to keep the ball out.

However it was Chatlton who took the lead against the run of play in the 50th-minute, capitalising on a defensive error which allowed George Lapslie to slid the ball to the onrushing Ademola Lookman, who had the simplest of chances to slot the ball past goalkeeper Harry Girling.

Following a foul on Mundle-Smith, Chesmain’s goalbound free-kick was well saved at the second attempt by keeper Beeney as Millwall looked to get back on level terms immediately.

But the visitors doubled their tally after 70 minutes when a long clearance upfield following a Millwall corner was picked up by Joshua Umerah, who ran on and scored.

Defender James Brown almost forced the ball over the line during a spell of Millwall pressure and in the 82nd minute The Lions got their reward when Eze fired home following neat combination play involving Brown and Zak Bryon.

Millwall piled on the pressure in the latter stages of the game and were twice desperately close to grabbing a late leveller. Defender Alfie Kitt forced a flying save from the keeper with a powerful header from a Chesmain free-kick and then with seconds remaining, Mikael Ndjoli flicked the ball into the path of substitute Noel Leighton, but the latter's shot crashed against the woodwork and away to safety.

Team: Girling, Brown, Chesmain, Bryon, Peter, Kitt, Mulrooney-Skinner (Ebouzeme 75mins.) Fitzgerald (White 75 mins.), Mundle-Smith ( Leighton 75 mins.), Eze, Ndjoli. Subs not used: Goodman.

Advertisement block