Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/02/2015

21 February 2015

Full-time from The Den

Millwall were left still waiting for their first home win of 2015 after sharing the spoils with relegation rivals Fulham.

The Lions frustrating win-less run on home soil stretches back to 25th October 2014, some 11 games ago, although on the balance of play a point apiece was about right at the end of a tight derby tussle.

Den boss Ian Holloway made four changes to the team that started at Leeds, with Michael Tonge returning to the team having been ineligible to face his parent club last weekend. 

With right-back Shaun Cummings ruled out through injury, Jimmy Abdou came in to fill the defensive berth, whilst strikers Aiden O'Brien and Lee Gregory came in for the injured Lee Martin and Stefan Maierhofer. 

Holloway showed his determination to finally end a miserable run of home results by naming three strikers - Ricardo Fuller, new signing Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Maierhofer - amongst his seven substitutes. Unfortunately in the end that lack of a killer touch in front of goal deserted Millwall once more. 

After a nervy opening 10 minutes, The Lions carved out the first real chance of the game when Tonge, making his first appearance at The Den,  combined with Abdou to set up Gregory, who unfortunately snatched at his shot and fired over the bar from a central position. 

Tonge and Abdou produced a neat interchange on 16 minutes with Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli comfortably collecting the latter's deep delivery. The visitors launched a quick counter-attack and this time it took the smart reactions of Lions keeper David Forde to save from Alex Kacaniklic after the Swede was played in on goal by Vigen Christensen. 

Hugo Rodallega hit the side netting after being played in by Scott Parker a couple of minutes before half-time, but it was the home side who could have twice broken the deadlock prior to that with Diego Fabbrini at the heart of both attacks. 

On 28 minutes Fabbrini's deft footwork took him past Parker, but he fired straight into the arms of Bettinelli. The Watford loanee then worked his magic again, crafting an opening for Gregory who in turn fed Abdou on the overlap, but the right-back just couldn't get his effort on target and the ball flew wide of the mark. 

Rodallega continued to be the focal point of Fulham's attacking play and his defected effort on 68 minutes was gathered by Forde as the ball looked in danger of squirming in at the far post. 

Defender Jos Hooiveld powered a header over the bar from a Shaun Williams' free-kick and Fabbrini then set up Tonge on 79 minutes, but the midfielder's drive was blocked before he fired narrowly over after Fulham failed to clear a corner as The Lions pressed for the opening goal. 

However it was hearts in mouth time for The Den faithful six minutes from time when Rodallega did have the ball in the net on 84 minutes, but it was ruled out for offside. 

Sub Fuller blazed the ball over the bar and Gregory headed over a Williams' cross, but for all their effort and endeavour, The Lions just could not score that all-important goal to secure a morale-boosting win at The Den.

Millwall: Forde, Abdou, Harding, Dunne, Hooiveld, Williams, Tonge (Upson, 86mins), Woolford (Fuller, 69mins), Fabbrini, O'Brien (Taylor-Fletcher, 58mins), Gregory. Subs not used: King, Beevers, Nelson, Maierhofer. 
Booking: Abdou (72mins) 

Fulham: Bettinelli, Richards, Bodurov, Hutchinson, Stafylidis, Parker, Tunnicliffe (Fofana, 81mins), Christensen, Kačaniklić (Ruiz, 57mins), Rodallega, McCormack. Subs not used: Kiraly, Roberts, Woodrow, Kavanagh, Burn. 

Ref: K Hill 
Att: 12,707 (away 1,815)

Advertisement block