Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Wolves U21s 1-3 Millwall U21s

22 December 2015

Onyedinma, Romeo and Cowan-Hall on target in League Cup cracker

A first-half goal from Fred Onyedinma coupled with efforts from Mahlon Romeo and Paris Cowan-Hall in the second, secured a seventh straight victory as Millwall booked their place in the U21s League Cup Quarter Finals with a superb win against Wolves.

Tuesday night's match, staged at rain-swept AFC Telford's New Bucks Head Stadium, was a keenly fought contest between two teams that gave their all in tricky conditions.

Justin Skinner's charges were, however, excellent value as his young players produced another composed, cohesive display to see off a resilient Wolves side.

After a fairly even start the game sprung into life on 25 minutes when The Lions made the breakthrough. Kyron Farrell was the architect with a super free-kick delivery that picked out Onyedinma, and the teenager stole in to head home.

Back came Wolves with Conor Hunte and Ryan Rainey both asking questions of the Millwall defence in quick succession.

It was from Rainey's 36th-minute shot, deflected behind for a corner, that the home side conjured up a leveller as Hunte's resulting inswinger evaded everyone and curled into the back of the net.

Wolves were a whisker away from grabbing a second goal three minutes before half-time when another Hunte corner caused problems, but on this occasion team-mate Bright Enobakhare connected with the ball and just steered his effort wide of the target.

The Lions create a chance of their own when the pace of Kris Twardek took the winger away down the inside left channel and his shot cannoned off the woodwork with keeper Aaran McCarey stranded.

However Skinner's charges came flying out after the break with Onyedinma and Farrell both denied by McCarey in the opening nine minutes.

Millwall's pressure eventually paid off and they restored their advantage in the 63rd-minute when Romeo's long-range drive took a slightly fortuitous deflection beyond McCarey's reach.

Just three minutes later the visitors eased 3-1 ahead courtesy of a crisp, quick counter-attack started by Onyedinma, and finished in style by Cowan-Hall, who sent a stinging volley into the roof of the net.

By this stage the confidence in the Lions camp was clear to see and further goals could have followed to make the scoreline even more impressive.

Striker Alfie Pavey produced an acrobatic volley that crashed into the side netting and then saw an 87th-minute shot fly inches wide as Millwall finished on the front foot to book their place in the last eight of the League Cup.

Wolves: McCarey, Deslandes, Upton, Carter, Breslin, Weeks, Kellermann, Hunte, Enobakhare, Rainey, Wilson (Bancessi, 64mins). Subs not used: Hayden, Ronan, Harris, Amstrong.

Millwall: King, Romeo, Chesmain, Thompson, Mbulu, Wood, Cowan-Hall, Farrell, Pavey, Onyedinma, Twardek. Subs not used: Girling, Parr, Donovan, Ndjoli, Eze.

Advertisement block