Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall U21s 1-0 Brentford U21s

7 December 2015

Full-time from The Den

Lee Martin was on target as Millwall U21s recorded a sixth win in seven games with a hard-fought 1-0 success against Brentford U21s at The Den on Monday afternoon.

Martin struck the only goal of a keenly contested affair midway through the second-half, steering home from close range following an excellent build-up and final pass from Mikael Ndjoli.

The young Lions team included midfielder Jimmy Abdou, who got a solid 60 minutes of match action under his belt having been sidelined with a shoulder injury sustained in a match at Peterborough United in early October.

In a quiet opening 45 minutes, Brentford had an opportunity to break the deadlock on 16 minutes when a through ball from Herson Alves picked out Bradley Clayton, but the latter drilled his effort wide of the post.

Martin and then Abdou tested Nick Tzanev in the Brentford goal with teasing crosses from the flanks, but the two teams went in goalless at the break.

The match sprung into action midway through the second period as both sides created scoring opportunities.

For The Lions, Kris Twardek was at the heart of an excellent move, spreading the ball across the field to Martin who in turn slipped a delightful pass into the feet of Ndjoli. The latter controlled the ball superbly, and rounded the keeper only to see his angled drive blocked by Tzanev at the near post,

Brentford responded and a tricky run from Courtney Senior caused panic in the home defence, as the busy Bee skipped past a handful of challenges and squared for Maxime Colin, whose piledriver was blocked for a corner.

From the resulting delivery Tom Field picked up the ball, beat two players and rifled a shot that smacked against the woodwork.

Play broke quickly up the other end and within seconds of hitting the bar, Brentford found themselves trailing thanks to a smart finish from Martin, who had been superbly played in on goal by Ndjoli.

Goalscorer Martin nearly turned provider five minutes later with a threaded ball through to Ndjoli, who sprinted forward only to be thwarted by a brave block from keeper Tzanev, the latter requiring treatment after colliding with the Millwall man.

Ndjoli was close to adding a second goal again as the game headed into the final quarter of an hour, whipping a dipping shot wide of the upright.

Brentford pushed forward in search of an equaliser and it took a great block from Mahlon Romeo to keep out another stinging shot from Yan Holldack, whilst with virtually the last move of the match, the unmarked Holldack steered a header inches wide of the target from a corner.

Millwall: King, Romeo, Chesmain (O'Donnell, 83mins), Abdou (Parr, 60mins), Mbulu, Wood, Eze, Farrell, Ndjoli, Martin, Twardek. Subs not used: Sandford, Fitzgerald, Bray.

Brentford: Tzanev, Colin, Field, McEachran, O'Shaughnessy, Mepham, Senior, Cole, Alves (Laucys, 72mins), Clayton (Jatta, 72mins), Holldack. Subs not used: Carey, Milenge.

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block