Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Millwall U18s 1-3 Charlton Athletic

24 August 2015

Mundle-Smith on target but young Addicks take derby honours

Kyren Mundle-Smith was on target for Millwall's U18s, but it wasn't enough to prevent the young Lions slipping to a 3-1 derby defeat at home to Charlton Athletic on Saturday morning.

Mundle-Smith, a second half substitute, hauled Millwall level in the 55th-minute after Charlton had taken the lead through Sam Bone just before the half-hour mark.

But the striker's joy turned to pain a minute after Ademola Lookman restored Charlton's lead 16 minutes from time when Mundle-Smith was forced off through injury and the visitors completed the scoring with a fortuitous own goal from Rian Bray in the dying minutes.

The game started brightly with early action at both ends and it was Millwall who threatened first when Alex Mulrooney-Skinner sent over an inviting cross following a good run on the right side, but unfortunately nobody could connect as ball fell tantalisingly in the six yard box.

Charlton responded and barely 60 seconds later it took a vital challenge from defender James Brown to deny frontman Anderson a clear chance as he broke into the penalty area.

After an even opening exchange it was the visitors who took a firm grip on proceedings for the remainder of the first-half.

Charlton's pressure inevitably paid off in the 28th minute when Bone crashed a free-kick from just outside the penalty area which passed goalkeeper Harry Girling.

The Lions came close to levelling just before the break when Ebere Eze's first-time drive fizzed just wide of the upright. 

Girling gave Millwall a fighting chance with a splendid save to deny Charlton a second goal right on the stroke of half-time, preventing the lively Anderson from extending the lead.

Having spent much of the opening 45 minutes on the back foot, Millwall came out with all guns blazing and a spell of pressure saw Mulrooney-Skinner fire inches wide of the upright before midfielder James White saw his drive cleared off the line. 

The Lions grabbed a deserved equaliser in the 55th-minute when sub Mundle-Smith won possession from a dithering Charlton defence, rounded the on-rushing keeper and planted the ball into an empty net.

Buoyed by the goal, Millwall nearly edged ahead moments later when Ryan Green's strong header from an Eze corner was blocked on the line.

Mikael Ndjoli went close with a 70th-minute header that was well saved by goalkeeper Jordan Beeney, but it was the visitors who re-took the lead four minutes later when Lookman fired low through a ruck of players to beat Girling.

Lions scorer Mundle-Smith was forced off injured in the 75th minute and replacement Matthew Campbell was quickly involved with a dangerous cross into the Charlton six-yard box that was hurriedly palmed out by Beeney with no Millwall player on hand to take full advantage.

Charlton's third goal arrived eight minutes from time when the ball, fizzing around the six yard box, ricocheted off the unfortunate Bray and crept past Girling.

Millwall: Girling, McNamara, Brown, White, Bray, Green, Mulrooney-Skinner, Ebezoeme, Day (Mundle-Smith, 46mins (Campbell, 75mins) Ndjoli, Eze.

Tweets by @MillwallFC

Advertisement block