Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Millwall U21s 3-3 QPR U21s

7 April 2015

Philpot grabs injury-time leveller in six goal thriller

Millwall U21s extended their unbeaten run to eight games with a thrilling 3-3 draw in a Professional Development League game against QPR at Calmont Road on Tuesday afternoon.

A real ding-dong affair saw the gutsy young Lions twice haul themselves level with their third goal from Jamie Philpot arriving in the dying seconds of a hugely entertaining game.

QPR had a great chance to break the deadlock after just nine minutes when Ben Pattie stole into the penalty area and met a cross from Jordan Gibbons, but lashed the ball over the bar from eight yards.

Millwall gradually settled into their stride, and following a defensive mix-up by the visitors, opened their account in the 18th-minute courtesy of Kris Twardek's tap-in from close range.

The midfielder went close to doubling Millwall's tally just before the half-hour mark with a stinging drive that was deflected away for a corner.

The Hoops hauled themselves level after 33 minutes when Jake Mulraney picked up a long ball over the top from Ryan Manning and beat Lions keeper Tom King with a deft chip.

Back came the home side, who could have edged ahead six minutes before the break only for Jack Powell to be denied from point-blank range by Joe Lumley in the visiting goal.

QPR took the lead on the stroke of half-time courtesy of a spectacular overhead kick from Manning that left King grasping at thin air.

The visitors came out at the start of the second-half with a real spring in their step and could have extended their lead when Pattie headed over from close range and then Manning saw his crisply hit shot well saved by keeper King.

However Millwall hit back to grab a 72nd-minute equaliser with a well-worked goal. Good play by Kyron Farrell on the left created an opening for Powell, and the midfielder's sweet volley flew beyond the reach of Lumley to make it all square at 2-2.

Farrell was denied a third goal for The Lions as Lumley flung himself across goal to keep out a delightful 20-yard free-kick.

Just as it looked as though the game was heading for a 2-2 draw, up popped Brandon Comley to fire the Hoops ahead two minutes from time following a neat one-two.

But there was to be one more twist in the tale when deep in injury-time, and with virtually the last action of the game, Philpot was on hand to haul The Lions back to 3-3 with a dramatic leveller.

Advertisement block