Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/03/2014

15 March 2014

Full-time from The Den

Millwall and Charlton shared the spoils as the two relegation rivals cancelled each other out in a goalless stalemate at The Den.

A point was better than none for The Lions, but the result did little to ease anxiety levels.

Lions boss Ian Holloway made three changes to the team that started at Blackpool, most notably handing a full Championship debut to 17-year-old midfielder Fred Onyedinma.

Alan Dunne and Simeon Jackson also returned to the team in place of Ryan Fredericks and Lee Martin for Saturday's crunch clash.

Midfielder Onyedinma was a whisker away from making it a dream debut on seven minutes when he was picked out by a cross from left-back Shaun Williams but his powerful header flew narrowly wide.

Charlton responded and carved out a chance of their own six minutes later when Callum Harriott was sent through by Bradley Pritchard, only to wastefully shoot straight into the hands of keeper David Forde.

Visiting keeper Ben Hamer was called into action to save comfortably from Simeon Jackson, whilst Dunne nearly gifted an opening goal to Marvin Sordell, but he made amends with a solid block to divert the striker's cross for a corner which was cleared by the home defence.

Sordell then fired wildly over the bar from a free-kick 25 yards out and an important block by Shane Lowry sent Harriott's goalbound effort spinning around the post for another corner as the visitors threatened.

It was heart in mouth time for The Lions on the half-hour mark when Johnnie Jackson's header was grabbed on the goal-line by Forde, but Millwall then carved out their best chance of the half.

Dunne whipped over a ball from the right, Steve Morison chested down and hit a firm shot from 10 yards that unfortunately flashed wide of the mark.

Ed Upson saw his 44th-minute long-range effort spilled by Hamer and the ball bobbled up and dropped inches wide of the post, but Millwall were unable to take advantage of the resulting corner as the first-half came to a close.

Charlton made one change at the start of the second-half with Astrit Ajdarevic making way for Jordan Cousins. The Addicks should have gone in front within five minutes of the restart but Harriott guided Rhoys Wiggins’ excellent cross just wide at the back post.

Holloway introduced new addition Stefan Maierhofer for Upson moments later and then Scott McDonald for Jackson in a bid to find that elusive opening goal.

Maierhofer nearly marked his introduction with a goal, but saw a 72nd-minute header from Owen Garvan's corner flash over the bar whilst their were nervy moments for the home defence at the other end as Jackson's free-kick from a central position was blocked.

Holloway's men could have won when sub Fredericks’ cross was flicked on by Morison but Maierhofer was prevented from connecting with the loose ball by a defensive boot that cleared the danger.

Garvan's curling free-kick was tipped over by Hamer with Millwall's last real chance of the game as the full-time whistle blew to bring an end to proceedings on a draw that was given extra value by results elsewhere.

Millwall: Williams (42mins), Dunne (63mins), Lowry (80mins)Bookings:
 Forde, Dunne (Fredericks, 72mins), Williams, Lowry, Robinson, Onyedinma, Garvan, Upson, Woolford, Jackson (McDonald, 55mins), Morison. Subs not used: Bywater, Beevers, Malone, Marquis. 

Charlton Athletic: Hamer, Jackson, Morrison, Dervite, Sordell (Ghoochannejhad, 65mins), Harriott, Pritchard (Church, 77mins), Wiggins, Wilson, Poyet, Ajdarevic (Cousins, 46mins). Subs not used: Thuram-Ulien, Green, Wood, Nego. 
Bookings: Jackson (25mins), Pritchard (35mins), Sordell (53mins)

Ref: P.Dowd
Att:16,102 (away 2,431)

Advertisement block