Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

What The Papers Said

6 January 2014

Media round-up of Cup exit

The Echo

'Most eventful match of my career'

Barry Corr labelled Southend United’s unexpected 4-1 win against Millwall as the most eventful match of his entire career.

The Irishman opened the scoring in the Shrimpers’ unexpected FA Cup third round success at Roots Hall on Saturday.

But his close range header was just the start of the drama as the game was later held up by a 15 minute floodlight failure before visiting striker Jermaine Easter was sent off on the stroke of half-time.

And the high number of incidents made it a match to remember for Corr.

"I would have to say that’s definitely the most eventful game I think I’ve ever been involved in," said Corr.

With five goals, a red card, a floodlight failure, the wet weather and a League Two team beating a Championship side I think it had a bit of everything.

There was a very lively match I played in for Sheffield Wednesday at Millwall once but this was even more eventful than that and we’re all delighted to have won."

Corr was also pleased to have got back on the score-sheet to continue his fine scoring run in the FA Cup.

The 28-year-old, who had gone seven games without a goal, headed home John White’s right wing cross to make it nine goals in his last 12 appearances in the competition.

"It was a huge relief to score again and I’m not sure what it is about this competition," said Corr.

"My dad is a huge fan of the FA Cup so that might have something to do with it and he came over from Ireland just to see the game so that also made it nice to get a goal and a good result."

But Corr was also concerned that his goal might be wiped out when Roots Hall was plunged in to darkness midway through the first half.

"When the floodlights went off I feared the worst and thought my goal might end up not even counting," said the forward.

We were also in a great position to get a win so it was a big relief when the lights came back on and hopefully we can go on from here now and I can get a few more goals as well."

However, Corr’s return to the score-sheet was also slightly controversial after the forward was involved in an early clash with Millwall’s Jack Smith.

The Lions defender was forced to play the remainder of the match with his head bandaged and the visitors claimed he was elbowed by Corr.

But the striker denied those suggestions.

"There was nothing in it at all and it was just an accident," said Corr.

"The Millwall players wanted to get me booked or sent off but I was with Jack at Swindon and he’s a good lad so there’s no way I would hurt him on purpose."

The Guardian

Southend become Cup giantkillers by slaying Millwall in four-goal blitz

League Two Southend stunned Championship club Millwall with a 4-1 win at Roots Hall.

The Shrimpers controlled the majority of an eventful FA Cup third round match.

And their biggest threat came from the floodlights, which went out for 15 minutes midway through the first half.

The game got off to a controversial start when Barry Corr appeared to elbow the Millwall defender Jack Smith but referee James Adcock opted to wave play on.

The Shrimpers then came close to taking the lead when Anthony Straker saw a low shot saved by Millwall goalkeeper David Forde and both Michael Timlin and Corr had follow-up efforts blocked in the resulting goalbound scramble.

But Corr was not to be denied for long and, with 22 minutes on the clock, he put Southend in front.

Corr headed home his ninth goal in his last 12 FA Cup games when he rose high to head home a cross from captain John White.

Five minutes later the floodlights went out and both teams left the pitch wondering if the match was going to resume.

But when it eventually did, Millwall – who had former Shrimpers striker Neil Harris in charge – suffered another blow in the 44th minute when forward Jermaine Easter was sent off after appearing to stamp on Southend defender Ben Coker.

The Shrimpers then made the most of their extra man just a minute later when Will Atkinson raced on to Timlin's through-ball before confidently chipping the ball over advancing Lions goalkeeper Forde.

Timlin made it 3-0 in the 57th minute with his first goal since February 2012 when he fired home from the edge of the penalty area.

Millwall got back in to the game seven minutes later when substitute Martyn Woolford collected a right wing cross from Steve Morison and sent a neatly controlled volley in to the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

But the Shrimpers were immediately back on top in the appalling wet conditions with Ryan Leonard having an outrageous 50-yard shot tipped over the crossbar by Forde.

Corr then headed a left wing cross from Straker against the outside of the left post before Southend sealed their shock win in stoppage time, with Leonard on target.

The midfielder, who scored twice in Wednesday's 2-1 win against Portsmouth, charged through the centre of the pitch before sending a powerful 16-yard shot goalbound.

That completed a memorable afternoon for the Shrimpers as they reached the fourth round of the competition for the first time since 2008.

Advertisement block