Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/01/2014

4 January 2014

Full-time score from Roots Hall

The lights went out on Millwall's FA Cup dream as League Two Southend United pulled off one of the shocks of the Third Round at the expense of their Championship opponents.

The Shrimpers were leading 1-0 courtesy of Barry Corr's 21st-minute header when the floodlights failed at Roots Hall, leaving the ground plunged in darkness for quarter of an hour before the game restarted.

But matters went from bad to worse for The Lions when to a mixture of horror and amazement referee James Adcock showed Lions striker Jermaine Easter a straight red card for an alleged stamp on United's Coker as the two players' momentum took them off the pitch chasing the ball.

Millwall went from facing a mountain to climb to needing a miracle when Will Atkinson sprung the offside trap in the last seconds of the opening half, raced clear from the halfway line and slotted a clinical finish beyond the reach of Forde leaving The Lions two goals and a man down at the break.

Martyn Woolford came on for Lee Martin at the break, but within eight minutes of the restart Southend had all but secured their place in Round Four when Nicky Bailey's poor back pass was picked up by Michael Timlin and he calmly slotted home a third goal through the hands keeper Forde.

Millwall introduced 17-year-old prospect Fred Onyedinma for his senior debut just past the hour mark and within two minutes The Lions gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Woolford reduced the arrears, controlling the ball from Steve Morison's cross and firing home with a shot on the turn.

Southend could have restored their three-goal advantage when Ryan Leonard's David Beckam-esque lob from fully 45 yards was brilliantly tipped over from under the bar by Forde.

Despite trying to raise a head of steam, The Lions struggled to make any real headway on a quagmire of a pitch against a Southend side that looked sharper, hungrier and stronger for long spells.

Sub John Marquis saw his long-range effort held by home keeper Daniel Bentley in the second of six minutes added time, but it was Leonard who put the icing on the cake for Southend with a rasping, rising drive into the top corner that gave Forde no chance to deservedly secure the League Two side's place in Sunday's Fourth Round draw.

 Bentley; White (Phillips, 88mins), Coker, Prosser, Thompson; Atkinson, Leonard, Clifford (Laird, 69mins), Timlin (Eastwood, 83mins), Straker; Corr. Subs not used: Smith, Hurst, Payne, Woodrow.Southend United:
 Atkinson (45+4mins), White (71mins), Leonard (82mins)Bookings:
 Corr (21mins), Atkinson (45+5mins), Timlin (56mins), Leonard (90+4mins)Scorers:

 Forde; Dunne, Shittu, Lowry, Smith (Marquis, 77mins); Chaplow (Onyedinma, 61mins), Bailey, Abdou, Martin (Woolford, 46mins); Easter, Morison. Subs not used: Bywater, Beevers, Wright, McDonald.Millwall:
Bookings: Bailey (42mins),  Smith (45+2mins), Woolford (72mins)
 Easter (43mins)Sending off:
 Woolford (63mins)Scorer:

 J AdcockRef:
 5,711 (away 2,212)Att:

Advertisement block