Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Yeovil 1-1 Millwall

11 February 2014

Steve Morison's second-half goal secures a point

Steve Morison's headed equaliser secured a crucial point for Millwall in a 1-1 draw with Yeovil at Huish Park.

Substitute Joe Ralls had given The Glovers a second-half lead, but Morison headed Scott Malone's cross home in the 74th minute for a share of the spoils.

Boss Ian Holloway named an attacking line-up with five changes from last Saturday's defeat to Burnley, handing a full debut to Simeon Jackson and selecting fit-again keeper David Forde in place of Stephen Bywater.

The Lions began brightly; Scott Malone breaking forward before finding Scott McDonald, who was dispossessed as he shaped to pass to Steve Morison free on the right hand side of the box.

Yeovil's biggest threat early in the game was from set-pieces, with Byron Webster heading at David Forde before Jamie McAllister's low free-kick deflected kindly into the Irish keeper's arms.

DJ Campbell then came agonisingly close to opening the scoring, firing a low shot from 20-yards which edged inches wide of Marek Stech's left-hand post.

That chance sparked the game into life, and at the other end, Ishmael Miller, via a slight deflection, rattled the crossbar from the edge of the area.

Gary Johnson's Glovers began to settle, and winger Joel Grant stung the palms of Forde with a low drive before Webster headed another McAllister free-kick over the bar.

Forde was then at his best once more to deny Tom Lawrence from outside the box, and again to meet Grant's drive and collect the loose ball with Luke Ayling approaching.

At the other end, with Jackson, Campbell and McDonald working tirelessly behind Morison, Malone met Martyn Woolford's dinked diagonal but volleyed wide. McDonald, latching onto Morison's neat flick on, then fired the ball just past Stech's post seconds before the interval.

Millwall started the second period on top; Ryan Fredericks trying his luck from distance before Morison headed Richard Chaplow's free-kick into the arms of Stech.

Miller, proving a handful for defensive duo Danny Shittu and Shaun Williams, then had a goal disallowed for a foul on the latter, but that was only a temporary reprieve for The Lions men as Ralls volleyed James Hayter's cross into the bottom corner in the 64th minute.

Boss Ollie took off Richard Chaplow for Alan Dunne, who slotted in at centre-half, allowing Williams to push on in midfield, and the attacking move paid dividends as Millwall equalised in the 74th minute. The ball found its way out to Malone on the left flank, and he crossed for Morison to head past Stech into the bottom corner, much to the delight of the 416 travelling rain-soaked fans behind the goal.

From then on it was the visitors who looked the most likely to win it, but referee Andy Woolmer waved away penalty appeals in the 86th minute when Fredericks was brought to ground - choosing instead to book the on-loan right-back for simulation.

Shittu's late header almost stole it, but his effort sailed just over the bar, leaving the two sides with a share of the spoils.

Relive the action on The Wall, our new website feature,here

Yeovil: Stech; Ayling, Duff, Webster, McAllister; Grant (Ralls, 52'), Edwards, Lundstram, Lawrence (Morgan, 84'); Moore (Hayter, 57'), Miller. Subs not used: Dunn, Dawson, Foley, Lanzoni

Goalscorers: Ralls 64'

Bookings: Webster 54', Ralls 93'

Millwall: Forde; Fredericks, Shittu, Williams, Malone; Chaplow (Dunne, 71'), Woolford; Campbell (Easter, 72'), McDonald, Jackson (Feeney, 60'); Morison. Subs not used: Bywater, Robinson, Adbou, Martin

Goalscorers: Morison 74'

Bookings: Morison 77', Fredericks 86', Williams 92'

Referee: Andy Woolmer

Advertisement block