Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/02/2014

15 February 2014

Full-time score from The Den

Martyn Woolford's 82nd-minute strike against Bolton secured a crucial point for Millwall in their battle for Championship survival at The Den.

Woolford slotted home from a tight angle with eight minutes to go - although Simeon Jackson may have got the final touch - to cancel out Lukas Jutkiewicz's first-half opener.

Ian Holloway made four changes from the 1-1 draw with Yeovil on Tuesday, bringing in Ed Upson for his home debut, and it was the midfielder who created the game's first chance, finding Steve Morison with a clipped ball forward which David Wheater thumped clear as the striker shaped to shoot.

The Lions began the far brighter side and produced some clever football at times, with Upson and midfield partner Shaun Williams at the heart of the hosts' best work.

But against the run of play, and in Bolton's first real attack, they took the lead. Chris Eagles received the ball out on the left and produced a wonderful cross which striker Jutkiewicz headed in off the post.

Undeterred, the home side hit back, and Martyn Woolford, playing in an advanced midfield role, saw a scuffed effort turned off the line by Wheater. Penalty appeals were then waved away by referee Simon Hooper after Upson was upended, before Jermaine Easter then had a shot himself cleared off the line, this time with Alex Baptiste the last-ditch defender.

With Bolton happy to sit back, Millwall pushed on in search of an equaliser, but couldn't find a way past Bogdan before the interval.

With no change in the scoreline by the 56th minute, Holloway made a bold triple substitution; bringing on Jackson, Scott McDonald and DJ Campbell for Easter, Upson and Lee Martin.

Their impact was felt 10 minutes later when McDonald kept the ball in on the touchline before crossing for Campbell, who headed just over.

But Bolton then looked to have made it 2-0, only for Baptiste's cool finish to be ruled out for oddside.

That gave Millwall a boost, and Woolford brought the best out of Bogdan from just outside the box; the keeper reaction acrobatically to tip the midfielder's effort away.

In the 77th minute, though, Bolton were handed a chance to win it when they were awarded a penalty for a handball from Danny Shittu. Jutkiewicz stepped up, but his effort was tame and David Forde produced a smart stop to deny the striker from 12-yards.

And just minutes later, The Lions were level. Morison's cross into the box was met by McDonald six yards out, but Bogdan denied him with a stunning save. The ball, however, fell to Woolford who finished brilliantly from a tight angle to make it 1-1, although Jackson may have got the final touch on its way in. 

Shittu tried his luck from distance in the 90th minute, but neither side were capable of forging one last clear cut opportunity to win it.

Millwall: Forde; Fredericks, Shittu, Dunne, Malone; Upson (McDonald, 56'), Williams; Martin (Campbell, 56'), Woolford, Easter (Jackson, 56'); Morison. Subs not used: Bywater, Robinson, Powell, Feeney

Goalscorers: Woolford 82' 

Bookings: Upson 50', Malone 64'

Bolton: Bogdan; Baptiste, Mills, Wheater, Ream; Kamara, Spearing; Davies (Knight, 79'), Pratley (Lee, 91'), Eagles (Danns, 73'); Jutkiewicz. Subs not used: Lonergan, Hall, Vela, White

Goalscorers: Jutkiewicz 15'

Bookings: Eagles 33', Davies 79'

Referee: Simon Hooper

Attendance: 10,007 (503 away)

Advertisement block