Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Burnley 3-1 Millwall

8 February 2014

Match report from Turf Moor

A double from Danny Ings helped Burnley to a 3-1 win over Millwall at a wet and windy Turf Moor.

Martyn Woolford had given The Lions a first-half lead, but Ings scored twice either side of a Dean Marney stunner to secure the hosts' win.

Boss Ian Holloway made four changes from the side which lost 3-0 to Reading last weekend, bringing deadline day signing Ed Upson into midfield for his Millwall debut with fellow new addition Simeon Jackson on the bench.

And it was Ollie's Lions who began the brighter; Scott Malone forcing Tom Heaton to tip the ball over for a corner before Lee Martin, cutting in from the left, shot wide from outside the box.

In response, Burnley genuine first chance fell to Sam Vokes, but the striker could only head Kieran Trippier's cross over Stephen Bywater's bar.

Heavy rain and strong winds made conditions increasingly difficult for both sides, but Millwall managed to take the lead in the 27th in stylish fashion. Martin's free-kick was headed out of the box but fell kindly to Martyn Woolford, who controlled expertly before firing in a half-volley into Heaton's bottom right corner.

The advantage lasted just two minutes, however, as Danny Ings, The Clarets' in-form striker, controlled the ball in the box and finished past Bywater.

The equaliser sparked Sean Dyche's men into life, and Scott Arfield was guilty of spurning a golden opportunity to hand them the lead when he headed straight at Bywater from Ings' knockdown.

Then, in the 44th minute, the home side were awarded a penalty after Jimmy Abdou felled Ings, but the striker's spot kick was saved brilliantly by Bywater.

But that was only a temporary reprieve for The Lions as Dean Marney, into the dying embers of the first-half, smashed home a stunning strike from the egde of the box to hand Dyche's Clarets a half-time lead.

Vokes had the first chance of the second-half, testing Bywater from a tight angle.

Holloway sent on Simeon Jackson for his Millwall debut in the 55th minute, but The Clarets increased their lead soon after. Trippier's long punt forward was controlled impeccably by forward Ings, who slotted home with his second touch.

Undeterred, The Lions fought back and were unlucky not to pull one back when Ryan Fredericks hit the bar with a looping cross-shot.

But with the wind and rain increasingly troublesome, neither side threatened in the latter stages, and despite throwing on Scott McDonald and Richard Chaplow, The Lions couldn't find a way back into the game and head to Huish Park on Tuesday in search of a crucial three points against their relegation rivals.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff; Kightly, Marney, Arfield (Stanislas, 84'), Jones; Ings (Wallace, 89'), Vokes (Barnes, 75'). Subs not used: Cisak, Long, Edgar, Treacy

Scorers: Ings 29’ & 62’, Marney 45+3', 

Bookings: Ings

Millwall: Bywater; Fredericks, Robinson, Williams, Malone; Upson (McDonald, 68'), Abdou (Chaplow, 76'); Martin (Jackson, 55'), Campbell, Woolford; Morison. Subs not used: Gerrar, Dunne, Feeney, Easter

Scorers: Woolford 27'

Bookings: Upson, Robinson

Referee: Keith Stroud

Advertisement block