Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Paper Talk - Sheffield Wednesday

20 August 2014

What the press said about Tuesday night's draw

Wednesday morning's papers were made all the sweeter to read for Lions fans, still smiling after Magaye Gueye's dramatic late, late leveller maintained Millwall's unbeaten start to the campaign with a 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday. 

It was a choker for The Owls, however, and manager Stuart Gray, as captured in this article in the Sporting Life

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray felt like his side had lost after they conceded an equaliser in the fifth minute of injury time to draw 1-1 with Millwall.

Lions substitute Magaye Gueye hit the late leveller - his first goal for the club - after Wednesday winger Chris Maguire had opened the scoring with a 20-yard free-kick 12 minutes into the second half.

The visitors looked to have squandered their opportunity to grab a share of the spoils when Shaun Williams missed an 85th-minute penalty following a foul by Owls goalkeeper Keiren Westwood on Millwall winger Lee Martin.

Gray said: "Sometimes you've got to take pride in the result. I didn't get the performance that I was after but I just felt when we got our noses in front we looked more likely to be the side to get the next goal.

"I just said to the players, we're going to have massive highs and massive lows and at the moment the dressing room is very, very low because it feels like a defeat.

"(It's the) last 10 seconds of the game where we've conceded but it just shows this game of football that's why we all love it so much; it keeps you on the edge of your seat and you never know what's going to happen.

"I just felt we should have managed the game a bit better.

"At the end of the day, we didn't get to the heights that I know we've got to this season but sometimes you've got to win ugly and we didn't win ugly."

Millwall manager Ian Holloway was delighted with his team's determination to take something from the game after the setback of seeing Williams' penalty come back off the right-hand upright.

"I don't give up hope any more," he said. "When I first came last year, maybe, but not now.

"I thought we got lots of things wrong in the first half: we over played, we over passed, we forgot to go and try and create anything against a very good team.

"I thought it was a very tough game for us. Second half we got a little bit better.

"I was so proud of my boys to not only get over the disappointment of missing a penalty but to still have enough skill and prowess to create a wonderful goal and score it. I'm delighted because it feels like we've won a game. The fact is, it's one point all and I think it was one point deserved, each way.

"I feel buzzing and I'm sure Stuart does deep down because his team are so far away from when he took over.

"That's 12 games we haven't been beaten for now (including last season), that's what's making me chuffed.

"We have to share a point but what a fantastic Championship game."
also attended last night's match and their report read:Daily StarThe

Magaye Gueye spared Shaun Williams’ blushes with a late equaliser to keep up Millwall’s unbeaten run.

Williams missed a chance from the spot to cancel out Chris Maguire’s free-kick but Gueye had the last laugh in injury time.

Stuart Gray’s men, also unbeaten this season, were the first to threaten when new boy Stevie May fired wide.

Lions wide-man Lee Martin then cracked a free-kick just past Kieren Westwood’s post at the other end as the visitors made an impressive start.

But the Owls scrapping spirit started to pay off and they should have grabbed the lead when powerhouse front-man Atdhe Nuhiu nodded over.

The Lions were being forced deeper but a classy flick from their striker Lee Gregory allowed Martyn Woolford to fire over from a good position.

And Williams also lashed high from 30 yards as Millwall threatened once again.

But the opening goal came on 57 minutes when Martin handled on the edge of the box and Maguire found the bottom corner with a deft set-piece.

With both sides yet to taste defeat in the league, it was a frantic finish as Ian Holloway’s men pushed for the equaliser.

And they had a great chance when Owls No.1 Westwood brought down Martin in the box with four minutes left but Williams struck the post.

However, just when it looked like Wednesday had seen off the threat, Gueye arrived late to smash home Ricardo Fuller’s pull back in the 95th minute.

Advertisement block