Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/09/2013

21 September 2013

Full-time from The Valley

Scott McDonald struck his first goal for Millwall as The Lions recorded back-to-back wins with a hard-fought victory at south London rivals Charlton in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

McDonald's strike seven minutes before the break - which took a wicked deflection off Dorian Dervite - settled a keenly contested derby in which both sides showed plenty of effort and commitment, and in Millwall's case, some delightful football at times too.

Following hot on the heels of a midweek win against Blackpool, Lions boss Steve Lomas named an unchanged starting XI, showing just one change on the bench with Jermaine Easter coming in for James Henry.

The opening half saw both teams provide plenty of enthusiasm and endeavour, but with the defences in dominant form, scoring opportunities were restricted at either end.

Former Addick Nicky Bailey, who was roundly booed by the home fans every time he touched the ball, dragged a couple of long-range efforts wide of the mark.

Martyn Waghorn also sent a fizzer a couple of yards off target whilst Lions keeper David Forde, who was virtually a spectator throughout, comfortably collected a dinked Johnnie Jackson free-kick under pressure as the hosts rarely threatened.

Martyn Woolford set off on a mazy run midway through the half that had the travelling fans out of their seats as he broke deep in the penalty area, only to misplace his lay-off to Liam Trotter, and the opportunity was lost for Millwall.

However the deadlock was finally broken on 37 minutes. Bradley Pritchard gave possession away cheaply in the middle of the park and Waghorn smartly intercepted. Although he was fouled, referee Andy D'Urso waved play on and that advantage worked a dream for McDonald, who picked up the ball and drove a low shot that took a wicked deflection to sail past the wrong-footed Ben Hamer.

Having worked tirelessly to gain the lead, The Lions were not about to relinquish that advantage and in fact could have increased their tally on 53 minutes, only for Woolford's goalbound effort to be brilliantly blocked by Michael Morrison in the home defence.

Steve Morison came on just before the hour-mark for goal hero McDonald, and made an immediate impact, flicking the ball on for Woolford, whose first-time shot smashed into the side netting.

Morison was in the thick of the action again a couple of minutes later, combining well with Liam Trotter, the latter's sizzling strike was parried at full stretch by Charlton keeper Hamer.

The home side finally carved out their first clear scoring opportunity of the game, only for Simon Church to tamely fire straight at Forde with the goal begging.

Charlton pushed defender Morrison up front in the final quarter of an hour in a desperate attempt to claw their way back into the game, but it was Millwall who so nearly capitalised on the counter-attack when a delightful move involving sub Richard Chaplow ended with Scott Malone sending a crisp low drive into the side netting.

With skipper Paul Robinson in simply unbeatable form at the heart of the Millwall defence, there was to be no late leveller for Charlton as Lomas' charges saw out four minutes of injury-time with expert professionalism to secure another vital three points.

Charlton Athletic: Hamer, Jackson, Morrison, Dervite, Stephens, Church, Pritchard  (Sordell, 71mins), Wood (Stewart, 59mins), Wiggins, Wilson, Pigott (Harriott, 71mins). Subs not used: Alnwick, Evina, Cousins, Gower.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Malone, Robinson, Beevers, Trotter (Chaplow,79mins), Abdou, Bailey, Woolford, Waghorn (Martin, 70mins), McDonald (Morison, 59mins). Subs not used: Bywater, Easter, Connolly, Osborne.
Booking: Waghorn (16mins)

 A. D'UrsoRef:

Advertisement block