Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Honours even

16 September 2013

Young Lions and Addicks share spoils

Millwall's U21s secured a gritty goalless draw as honours ended even in Monday afternoon's Development League game against Charlton Athletic at Sparrows Lane.

The young Lions featured just one player with senior experience in the shape of Aiden O'Brien, and the striker went close to breaking the deadlock after five minutes, beating two men before seeing his goalbound shot deflected for a corner.

Neil Harris' charges racked up five corners in the opening 10 minutes, but Charlton held firm and themselves were only denied by the bravery of keeper Denzil Gerrar, who grabbed the ball at the feet of Charlton's Jack Munns after he had been played in by Diego Poyet.

Millwall's Charlie Penny looked odds-on to open the scoring 11 minutes before the break, only to be thwarted by a fine interception from Morgan Fox.

Charlton carved out a couple of half-chances in the driving rain with Bradley Jordan slamming a free-kick from 18 yards straight into the wall and then Cook directing a header narrowly wide just before the break.

Lions keeper Gerrar was called into action soon after the restart when he got his fingers to a thunderous free-kick from Fox, tipping the ball onto the bar.

Despite creating some promising moves in the second period, Millwall just lacked that final decisive, telling delivery into the danger zone.

It was the home side who could have nicked all three points right at the death; Ade Azeez headed inches over from an Ollie Muldoon cross and then Gerrar came to the rescue with an acrobatic save to push Muldoon's shot over the bar to secure a draw for Millwall.

Charlton: Pope; Osborne, Holmes-Dennis, Fox, Feely; Jordan, Poyet, Munns, Daniel, Cook, Azeez. Subs: Phillips, Gomez, Muldoon, Sho-Silva, Ahearne-Grant.

Millwall: Gerrar, Siafa, Nelson, De Havilland, Bender, Powell, McManus, Thompson, Onyedinma, O’Brien, Penny. Subs: Beadle, Webb, Farrell, Danquah, Pavey.

Advertisement block