Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late goals stun Lions

7 October 2013

R's grab derby points

Millwall U18s 1 QPR U18s 2

Millwall were left cursing their luck after a couple of contentious decisions contributed to a derby defeat at the weekend.

Having taken the lead courtesy of a Keaton Wood effort, a penalty and then late goal secured victory for the visitors that had, for long spells, looked highly unlikely.

The teams had cancelled each other out in the first period with both defences in control and neither side being able to make the breakthrough.

Of the few opportunities that did indeed come Millwall's way, striker Jamie Philpot saw his header, whilst under pressure, flash wide following a cross from Fred Onyedinma. 

Full-back Callum Webb tried a fierce drive from distance in the 32nd minute which had the Rangers keeper stretching, but skimmed the crossbar whilst at the other end Lions keeper Tom Beadle denied the visitors just before the break with a super save following a quick counter-attack - R's best chance to break the deadlock during the first period.

The second-half opened brightly for The Lions and early pressure saw both Keaton Wood and Philpot nod efforts wide following well delivered corners into the box from John Prince Rylah. 

In the 53rd minute the home side made the breakthrough when another corner this time picked out Philpot, who knocked down for Wood to lash home the opening goal. 

Millwall nearly doubled their lead in the very next attack, only for Philpot to glance his header inches wide of the upright with the keeper beaten. By the 70th minute The Lions were now looking their most dangerous as on target efforts from Ben Thompson, Philpot and Ritchie Danquae - which included a mazy run past three tackles - were all blocked or beaten away.  

With 13 minutes the visitors were handed a perfect opportunity to haul themselves level when, totally against the run of play, defender Wood was adjudged to have committed a foul in the home box. The ref pointed straight to the spot and Rangers duly despatched the penalty to equalise.

Minutes later the referee, who had tried to keep the game flowing throughout, halted the match after a Millwall player had been fouled even though the pass had been completed and Rylah was clear on goal with just the keeper to beat. Frustratingly play was called back and the resulting free-kick came to nothing.

Further misery followed for The Lions when in QPR's next attack - which by this time were few and far between - they grabbed their second goal and ultimate winner.

Despite piling on the pressure in the dying minutes, Millwall were unable to force a late leveller and R's held on for maximum points..

Team: Beadle, Webb, Farrell, Danquae (Guinchard, 85mins), Nelson, Wood, Rylah, Thompson, Philpot, Byron (Twardek, 55mins), Onyedinma. Subs not used: Parr, M.Goodman, J.Fitzgerald.

Advertisement block