Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Leicester City 3 Millwall 0

30 November 2013

Full-time from the King Power Stadium

Two goals in three second-half minutes from Jamie Vardy sent Leicester City to the top of the Championship table - and plunged Millwall right back into the relegation mix as Steve Lomas' side slid to a 3-0 defeat at the King Power Stadium.

Lloyd Dyer had already fired the home team ahead on 12 minutes, but it was Vardy's devastating quick-fire double that proved decisive to send The Lions spinning to another awayday loss and down to fourth from bottom in the division.

Millwall boss Lomas made two changes to the side that started against Barnsley last weekend with Jimmy Abdou and Liam Feeney coming in for Nicky Bailey (suspended) and Martyn Waghorn (ineligible).

Lomas had urged his side to keep things tight, not to concede an early goal and try to take some confidence from that victory and clean sheet against the Tykes seven days ago.

Unfortunately those hopes were dashed within just 12 minutes when Danny Drinkwater took advantage of the space he had been afforded on the right flank to cross for former Lion Dyer, allowed an equally generous amount of space, to hit a first-time shot that bounced down and beyond the despairing reach of keeper David Forde.

The Republic of Ireland stopper was on top form throughout, especially during the opening 45 minutes, and on 14 minutes flung himself across goal to palm away Anthony Knockaert's goal-bound effort for a corner.

Forde produced another top save just seven minutes later, diving low to his right to keep out Dyer's arrowed drive at the near post.

Foxes striker David Nugent was twice thwarted, firstly when Forde gathered the frontman's shot at the second attempt and then when another effort took a wicked deflection for a corner.

At the other end Millwall posed little attacking threat other than a brief spell of four successive corners - all taken by Feeney, that were cleared with the exception of one inswinger that home keeper Kasper Schmeichel tipped over.

Lomas introduced Steve Morison for Martyn Woolford at the start of the second-half but The Lions were twice caught out by the pace, power and precision finishing of their opponents on the counter-attack as Leicester effectively put the game out of reach by the 55th-minute.

Vardy grabbed his first - and Leicester's second - of the game seven minutes after the restart when play broke quickly from a Millwall corner and he skipped past Justin Hoyte to fire a low shot under the body of Forde and into the back of the net.

The Foxes striker doubled his tally just three minutes later, taking advantage of defensive hesitancy on the edge of the area from Scott Malone to nip in and beat Forde from an acute angle.

On came Lee Martin and Andy Keogh for The Lions and despite having a lot of possession thereafter, Millwall's final delivery into the danger zone was left wanting. The only real chance came on 64 minutes when Martin sent over an inviting cross for fellow sub Morison, but his header from two yards went wide.

Leicester remained a threat on the break, and it was only the profligacy of their finishing - and keeper Forde's agility - that prevented Nigel Pearson's team adding further goals to their three as they secured maximum points.

Leicester City: Schmeichel; Wasilewski, Morgan, Miguel, Konchesky; Knockaert, Drinkwater (Hammond, 74mins), James, Dyer (Taylor-Fletcher, 69mins); Vardy, Nugent (Wood, 60mins). Subs not used: Logan, King, Schlupp, Moore.
 Vardy (27mins)Bookings:
Dyer 12mins), Vardy (52, 55mins)Scorers:

Millwall: Forde; Hoyte, Robinson, Beevers, Malone; Abdou, Moussi; Feeney, Chaplow (Martin, 60mins), Woolford (Morison, 46mins); McDonald (Keogh, 60mins). Subs not used: Bywater, Smith, Lowry, Easter.
Bookings: Malone (24mins), Abdou (69mins)

Referee: A Baines
Att: 21,833 (away 639)

Advertisement block