Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blankety blank

4 November 2013

Honours even in derby draw

Charlton Athletic U18s 0 Millwall U18s 0
Millwall dominated matters in this derby affair and were left wondering just how they ended up with just one point instead of all three following a dominant display at Sparrows Lane. 

Although Charlton started off brightly, The Lions rearguard of Kyron Farrell, Callum Webb, Sid Bishop and Keaton Wood produced several important headers and interceptions to deny the home side a clear sight at goal.

Having absorbed this early pressure, Millwall came into their own and quickly got to grips with proceedings, pressing for the opening goal with real drive and determination.

Kris Twardek saw his drive saved by the home keeper and Jamie Philpot headed a good chance over the bar from a precise Farrell cross with a couple of good openings and on 35 minutes, the Charlton defence somehow managed to scramble the ball away as it was about to cross the line following a corner.

In Millwall's next attack Philpot jinked through a crowded penalty area only to blast wide and in the final action of the first period Philpot and Twardek combined to force a corner, but the subsequent set play was headed inches over the Charlton bar.

The second period shaped up in pretty much the same way as the opening 45 minutes with The Lions enjoying lots of possession and pressure, but still needing that elusive goal, whilst at the other end goalkeeper Tom Beadle was hardly troubled. 

A fierce drive by midfielder Ben Thompson was pushed away and a teasing cross into the box by Twardek was somehow missed by both defenders and attackers as Millwall tried to find a way through. 

The Lions peppered the home goal for much of the second half, but Charlton keeper Harry Doherty made a couple of decent saves - as well as relying on a good slice of luck - to keep to keep his side in the match. 

Millwall were desperately close to claiming all three points right at the death only for Twardek's header to be cleared off the goal line with the keeper beaten, and Fred Onyedinma's follow-up effort was hit straight into the keeper's hands.
Team: Beadle, Webb, Farrell, Danquah (Bryon, 75mins). Nelson, Wood, Rylah (White, 75mins), Thompson, Philpot, Onyedinma, Twardek. Subs not used: Parr, Goodman, Peter.

Advertisement block