Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/03/2013

29 March 2013

Alan Dunne picked the perfect time to score his first goal of the season - and first league goal in three years - with an 87th-minute winner as Millwall edged to a vital victory against 10-man Leicester City.
When right-back Dunne scores they are invariably corkers - and this was no different as he swept the ball home from Richard Chaplow's low pass to finally break the resistance of a stubborn Foxes team that had held firm despite playing for 87 minutes a man down following the third minute sending off of Wes Morgan.
For visiting boss Kenny Jackett this was a big three points to secure - and he did not hide his delight at the end.
"We gave them problems early on and I don't know if we surprised Leicester with how we started," he said. "but we should have been a couple of goals ahead at half-time.
It did look like it might cost us with the game petering out to a goal-less draw in the second half, but I was very pleased for Alan Dunne to score.
To pop up and finish with such composure, to pass that into the net, it was a finish of real quality."
Jackett made three changes to the side that won at Charlton with Adam Smith in for Karleigh Osborne (hamstring), Andy Keogh replacing Chris Taylor (groin strain) and Jermaine Easter starting up front alongside Rob Hulse in place of Dany N'Guessan.
Millwall made a bright start and forced a couple of early corners that were dealt with comfortably by the home defence.
However the defending was anything but comfortable after three minutes when Morgan sent Keogh tumbling as the Lions striker broke clear through on goal. Referee Stuart Attwell had no hesitation in brandishing a red card leaving the Foxes looking ahead to 87 minutes with 10 men.
In the opening 45 minutes Nigel Pearson's side - and keeper Kasper Schmeichel in particular - did redeem themselves with a stoic defensive display to prevent Millwall turning their possession into goals.
Schmeichel made a brilliant save at full stretch to keep out Shane Lowry's goalbound free-kick seconds after Morgan's dismissal, with the keeper then saving well from Adam Smith's crisp low drive.
Lowry was called into action on 13 minutes with a spectacular goal-line clearance from Dave Nugent as Leicester threatened briefly, but thereafter it was pretty much The Lions who created the chances.
Keogh and Rob Hulse both went close and Hulse then did get the ball in the back of the net just past the half-hour mark following a flowing move, but the striker had strayed half a yard offside as he swept home after Liam Trotter had slipped the ball into his path six yards out.
Jack Smith's piledriver was defected for another corner - Millwall's eighth of the half as Leicester continued to frustrate Millwall before Schmeichel's crucial intervention right on half-time, rushing out to grab the ball as Keogh raced to collect Easter's sublime pass. 
Chances were at a premium after the break although Lions stopper David Forde did produce a moment of magic between the sticks, somehow keeping out Trotter's header, after the midfielder had inadvertently headed Anthony Knockaert's free-kick towards his own goal.
Leicester tried to muster a head of steam, but for all their effort, rarely threatened in the final third with the Millwall back four rock solid throughout.
The game looked to be petering out into a goalless draw when Southampton loanee Richard Chaplow showed great determination on the left to retain possession and although his pull-back looked to have missed all of the visiting forwards, Dunne had timed his run forward to perfection and calmly planted the ball beyond the reach of Schmeichel to clinch victory in style.

Leicester City: Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Keane, Konchesky, Knockaert, Drinkwater (King, 57mins), James, Schlupp, Wood (Kane, 83mins), Nugent. Subs not used: Whitbread, Vardy, Dyer, Logan, Wellens. 
Sending off: Morgan (3mins) 

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, A.Smith, Trotter, Shittu, Lowry, J.Smith (Abdou, 72mins), Chaplow, Hulse (Marquis, 72mins), Easter, Keogh (Woolford, 90mins). Subs not used: M.Taylor, Malone, N'Guessan, Saville. 
Bookings: Dunne, Trotter, Hulse, Chaplow 
Scorer: Dunne (87mins)

Ref: S.Attwell 

Advertisement block