Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/03/2013

10 March 2013

Full-time score from The Den

Millwall and Blackburn Rovers must play it again on Wednesday after this absorbing FA Cup Quarter Final clash at The Den finished all square.
The Lions did everything but score as they dominated large spells of a keenly fought tussle, had a goal disallowed, hit the post and then saw Rob Hulse waste a glorious opportunity to book a place in the Semi Finals.
"It's such an obvious thing but if you don't score you're not going to win games," said boss Kenny Jackett.
"We put a lot of pressure on Blackburn and we had some clear-cut chances but couldn't score."
The punches of jubilation by the Blackburn players that greeted the final whistle may indicate that they feel the hard part of the job is done, that they have the advantage going into Wednesday's replay.
But Jackett issued a word of warning when he added: "We would liked to have won today but from the performance we gave we believe we can go there and get to the semi.  
I've got a really committed group, there was a lot of passion and the challenge is to take that into our next two away games, both big games, at Blackburn and then the local derby at Charlton.
That's a challenge we're up to and looking forward to."
Den boss Kenny Jackett made six changes to the team beaten by Wolves last time out with Alan Dunne, Jack Smith, Liam Trotter, Danny N'Guessan, Hulse and Andy Keogh all coming in to the starting line-up in a flexible formation in which Chris Taylor had a free licence to roam, which he did to great effect.
Trotter went close with an effort that flew narrowly wide of Rovers keeper Jake Kean's post before Millwall did have the ball in the net just before the half-hour mark.
Taylor whipped over a 29th-minute corner and when Kean failed to clear properly, Hulse headed home from close range. However the goal was ruled out for a foul on the goalkeeper by N’Guessan.
The Lions were thwarted again five minutes before the break, this time when the impressive Jack Smith’s cross was headed towards goal by Keogh but the ball hit the inside of the post and trickled agonisingly clear.
The visitors, who offered very little as an attacking threat, were only marginally more adventurous after the break.
Prolific frontman Jordan Rhodes, who barely had a look-in throughout, hit high and wide from David Bentley’s cross with Rovers first real clear chance.
At the other end Lions skipper Danny Shittu picked up the ball on the halfway line, strode forward and then unleashed a monster of a shot from 40 yards that Kean somehow tipped over as the ball headed towards the top corner.
The Lions wasted a glorious opportunity to break the deadlock on the hour when Keogh’s perfectly weighted pass from the right was met by Hulse, who contrived to fire over with the goal at his mercy from close range.
It was hearts in mouths time for The Den faithful though, when with 15 minutes remaining, Joshua King hit the post as The Lions struggled to clear a corner.
With the clock ticking down Shittu once again took matters into his own hands, charging forward and letting fly with another piledriver that Kean parried, before quickly gathering the loose ball from the feet of Hulse. 
Dany N'Guessan then wasted a decent opportunity after 84 minutes as he blazed high and wide after cutting inside. 
That was as close as either team came to breaking the deadlock and the two teams must play it again on Wednesday.

Advertisement block