Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Millwall 1 Rayo Vallecano 0

27 July 2013

Full-time from The Den

 Steve Morison's 57th-minute penalty made sure that it was an afternoon to remember for Paul Robinson as Millwall wrapped up their pre-season campaign with a 1-0 win against La Liga side Rayo Vallecano.

Club captain Robbo led the team out with his three young daughters Ellie, Izzy and Maya to be greeted by a typical Millwall roar from a 5,193 crowd.

The visitors, whose delayed arrival at The Den saw kick-off put back to 3.10pm, caused an early scare when Trashorras let fly with an audacious lob from just inside the Millwall half that floated narrowly wide of the post.

Saul then headed straight into keeper David Forde's arms following another Rayo attack, but The Lions gradually began to work their way into the game.

Josh Wright, partnering Jimmy Abdou in the centre of midfield, hit a low drive off target after the visitors struggled to clear their defensive lines from a Scott Malone corner.

It was Millwall who created the best chance of the opening half though when, moments after Richard Chaplow's low cross had flashed across the goalmouth, Morison was picked out by James Henry but his shot was blocked and put behind for the first of five corners in quick succession.

Although the visitors enjoyed a larger proportion of possession, they rarely looked like troubling the Millwall defence in which a classic Robinson interception early on set the tone for a solid afternoon's work by the back four.

Robinson started the second-half but within two minutes was replaced by Danny Shittu, enabling the hugely popular club captain to walk off to a standing ovation from the fans, the skipper reciprocating by applauding The Den faithful too.

The Lions were handed a great opportunity to break the deadlock on 57 minutes when a rush of blood to the head by Diamanka saw the Rayo defender swat the ball away with his hand.

Referee Roger East had no hesitation in pointing to the spot - and Morison produced a clinical finish, low to the right of keeper Ruben for his third goal in two games.

Defender Mark Beevers nearly doubled Millwall's lead, only to see his header from a Liam Feeney free-kick flash a whisker wide.

Visiting sub Jose Carlos forced Lions stopper Forde into a smart save, pushing his 25-yarder behind for a corner, before Beevers again went close as he headed just over from Henry’s corner.

Both teams made a number of changes during a second-half that was played in a competitive, at times feisty, manner.

The visitors nearly equalised right at the death when Carlos despatched a fierce 20-yarder that whistled a foot wide.

But Millwall dug in, defended as a unit and ensured that when the final whistle blew a clean sheet and victory was the perfect way to celebrate Robinson's testimonial - and sets The Lions up nicely for next Saturday's Championship opener at home to Yeovil Town.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson (Shittu, 47mins), Beevers, Malone (Lowry, 65mins), Henry (Woolford, 76mins), Wright (Smith, 84mins), Abdou, Chaplow (Feeney, 56mins), Keogh (N’Guessan, 87mins), Morison (Easter, 70mins). Subs not used: Bywater, Osborne, Shorey, Dicker.


Rayo Vallecano: Ruben, Triguero, Garcia, Urdiales, Jimena, Bangoura, Trashorras, Diamanka, Correoso, Saul, Mojica. Subs: Cobeno, Cristian, Adrian, Vazquez, Juanito, Isi, Saballs, Garcia, Rida, Mario, Ismael, Alberto.


Ref: R. East

Att: 5,193 (away 61)

Advertisement block