Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Brentford 3 Millwall 0

16 July 2013

Full-time score from Griffin Park

A trio of second-half goals from Sam Saunders, Paul Hayes and Stuart Dallas secured victory for Brentford as Millwall continued their pre-season preparations at a hot and humid Griffin Park on Tuesday night.

Manager Steve Lomas used 22 players during Saturday's 2-0 win at Crawley Town and he again utilised his squad, making six changes at half-time and then a further five on the hour-mark to get a good look at his squad.

Amongst those players tasting action in a Millwall shirt for the first time were youngsters Jake Goodman and Niall McManus, both of whom had played at Canvey Island just 24 hours previously.

A quartert of players who have been training with The Lions - Nicky Shorey, John Paintsil, Lee Cook and Lee Croft - also got match minutes in the second-half whilst Andy Keogh returned for his first appearance of the pre-season.

Tuesday night's match was another useful opportunity for manager Lomas to run the rule over his squad in a match situation.

Brentford had the best two chances of the first half-hour. On 17 minutes Clayton Donaldson took advantage of a slip by Danny Shittu and squared invitingly for Saunders, but the Brentford man rushed his shot and fired over from a central position.

Right-back Alan Dunne's pass inside to Jimmy Abdou was then intercepted by Donaldson and the striker strode forward before driving over the bar from 20 yards.

Former Southend United midfielder Alan McCormack and George Saville, who had a spell on loan at The Den last season, both sent efforts fizzing wide as Uwe Rosler's side continued to press without really testing David Forde in the visiting goal.

At the other end Millwall's best chance of the first 45 minutes came moments before the break when an angled delivery by James Henry was met by Jermaine Easter, but he directed his header a couple of yards wide of the mark.

As expected, manager Lomas made wholesale changes during the second-half and keeper Stephen Bywater's first touch of the ball was picking it out of the back of the net seconds after the restart, beaten all hands up by a stunning long-range strike from Saunders.

Steve Morison went close to levelling almost immediately when his textbook downward header from a Liam Feeney cross was clawed away by keeper Jack Bonham.

Striker partner Easter went close with a shot on the turn but the home side edged further ahead moments later when Hayes' clinical finish from seven yards gave Bywater no chance.

Further substitutions were made by The Lions but the visitors were unable to get any real rhythm to their play with Bonham a virtual bystander between the sticks.

It was no real surprise when Brentford added a third courtesy of another close range effort, this time by Dallas, who stroked the ball home after Bywater had parried Hayes' initial shot in the final couple of minutes.

Brentford: Moore (Forshaw, 9mins), Logan, Bidwell (Oyeleke, 68mins), McCormack (Forshaw, 65mins), Craig (Pierre, 73mins), Dean (Dallas, 60mins), Saunders, Reeves, Donaldson (Hayes, 46mins), Saville, Fillo (Adams, 72mins). Subs not used: O'Connor, Adams.

Millwall: Forde (Bywater, 46mins), Dunne (Paintsil, 46mins), Malone (Shorey, 46mins), Wright (Smith, 46mins), Shittu (Osborne, 46mins), Beevers (Goodman, 59mins), Woolford (Croft, 59mins), Abdou (McManus, 59mins), Easter (Keogh, 59mins), Morison (Cook, 59mins), Henry (Feeney, 46mins). Subs not used: O'Brien, Penny.

Ref: K.Hill
Att: 2,039 (away 453)

Advertisement block