Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Luton Town 0 Millwall 3

16 February 2013

Full-time score from Kenilworth Road

Millwall booked their place in the FA Cup Quarter Finals for the first time since 2004 with a comfortable Fifth Round win at non-league Luton Town.
James Henry started the ball rolling after 12 minutes with The Lions' first, before Rob Hulse (36mins) and sub Dany N'Guessan (85mins) wrapped up victory.
There was to be no giant-killing act this time for the battling Hatters, who had despatched both Wolves and Norwich City on their way to the last 16 of the competition.
Lions boss Kenny Jackett had insisted beforehand that his side would not underestimate the threat of their Blue Square League opponents, and his team had clearly taken on board his instructions.
Luton could not be faulted for their lack of enthusiasm and effort, but they lacked that crucial bit of quality in front of goal.
"We had to work very hard for it," said Jackett, "A very passionate crowd got behind their side, wanting a Cup upset. The cameras were here too which sets it up, but we did very well.
The first goal was the key, and it was a really big goal from James Henry. We followed it up after that with a very professional performance."
Jackett made a quartet of changes to the side beaten at Blackpool last weekend with Cup-tied duo Benik Afobe and Martyn Woolford replaced by Andy Keogh and Liam Feeney, whilst a defensive reshuffle saw both Adam Smith and Danny Shittu rested, with Alan Dunne and Karleigh Osborne stepping in.
The Lions opted for a 4-4-2 formation with Feeney starting on the right and Henry switching from his usual position to the left flank.
A sell-out Kenilworth Road crowd had both sets of fans in fine voice and the game got off to a flying start as the two teams exchanged early scoring chances.
For Luton, Andre Gray's third-minute shot on the turn was comfortably held by David Forde in the visiting goal with Hulse driving wide shortly after following a nice move down the left.
But it was Millwall who made the breakthrough with the all-important first goal when Henry capitalised on an error by Janos Kovacs, rounded Hatters keeper Mark Tyler and calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net.
Some great persistence saw Henry wriggle his way into the area before picking out Hulse on 28 minutes, but the latter's overhead volley flew over the bar.
But there was to be no denying Hulse eight minutes later when Henry, once again, produced a deep delivery that Hulse initially headed before cleverly hooking it back over Tyler for Millwall's second.
Luton had chances of their own in the opening half with Forde producing a fine reflex save to deny Arnaud Mendy before Kovacs wasted a glorious opportunity, heading the ball sideways instead of goalwards when unmarked at a corner deep in injury-time.
Millwall could have put the game beyond Luton's reach a couple of minutes after the break, only for Mark Beevers to glance his header over from Henry's free-kick.
At the other end Forde came to the rescue again on the hour mark, sprinting to the edge of his area to deny Gray after he latched on to an Alex Lawless pass.
Kovacs then headed over from a corner as the home side looked to reduce the arrears and grab a second-half lifeline.
But The Lions soaked up everything that was thrown at them and, sparked by the introduction of N'Guessan and John Marquis, began to create chances of their own too.
Keogh went close on 66 minutes when N’Guessan, with his first touch of the ball, saw his fierce shot deflected into Keogh's path but the striker scuffed his effort over.
Keogh was then denied by a fine Tyler stop and then headed agonisingly wide from Henry’s delivery as Millwall sensed that Luton were tiring.
The third and final goal came four minutes from time to put the result beyond any doubt; Marquis shot was pushed out by Tyler but only as far as fellow sub N’Guessan, who couldn't believe his luck and swept home from close range to seal victory.

Luton Town: Tyler, Taylor, Kovacs, Lawless, Rendell, Howells, Mendy (Shaw), O'Donnell (Fleetwood, 64mins), J.Smith, Henry, Gray. Subs not used: Lacey, Robinson, Woolley, Brill, Longden.
Booking: Rendell (53mins)

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Lowry, Abdou, Osborne, Beevers, Feeney (N'Guessan, 62mins), Trotter, Hulse (Marquis, 70mins), Keogh, Henry (A.Smith, 88mins). Subs not used: M.Taylor, Goodman, Wright, Malone.
Booking: Beevers (90+2mins)
Scorers: Henry (12mins), Hulse (36mins), N'Guessan (85mins)

Ref: L.Probert
Att: 9,768 (away 1,530)

Advertisement block