Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/12/2013

3 December 2013

Full-time score from The Den

Millwall stretched their unbeaten run at The Den to six games, but were left frustrated after twice letting a lead slip against high-flying Nottingham Forest.

The Lions, showing five changes to the side swept aside by Leicester City on Saturday, took an eighth minute lead when Eric Lichaj's poor headed clearance fell invitingly for Steve Morison, and he thumped home on the half-volley from 25 yards.

Forest hauled themselves level though eight minutes before the break when Andy Reid's left-foot shot curled beyond the reach of David Forde and into the bottom corner.

But Millwall edged ahead for a second time on 56 minutes when Morison's threaded through ball picked out Martyn Woolford, who somehow squeezed the ball beyond the reach of Karl Darlow in the Forest goal.

Unfortunately The Lions were unable to hold onto the lead as back came Forest for a second time with the home defence switching off at a corner whipped in by Reid, allowing Nathaniel Chalobah space to power home a header to make it 2-2.

Lions boss Lomas had demanded a response from his players following the disappointing display last weekend, but it so nearly went wrong before the game had even really started when Liam Trotter's square pass was intercepted by Henri Lansbury, but the Forest man thankfully fired wide from the edge of the area.

However, just three minutes later it was The Lions who broke the deadlock with the opening goal courtesy of Morison's unstoppable shot.

Despite initially pressing for a second goal, it was Forest who gradually worked their way back into the game and began to ask questions of the home defence.

That increased pressure paid off on 37 minutes as Reid picked up the ball around 35 yards out, and with the home defence backing off, strode forward before striking a swerving shot that deceived everyone, beyond Forde's outstretched hands.

Forest nearly stole the lead moments before the break when Jamie Mackie was played through into the danger zone, but he snatched at his shot and lashed over from 10 yards.

It was Woolford who showed how it should be done, producing a composed finish from Morison's pass to put the home side ahead 11 minutes after the restart.

The Lions, who had seen an earlier appeal for a penalty waved away when Lee Martin was sent tumbling, were left cursing their luck when referee Whitestone waved away what looked a clear-cut spot-kick. This time Martin was sent sprawling by Jack Hobbs as he prepared to pull the trigger.

A spot-kick at that stage would have handed Millwall the opportunity to put the game beyond Forest's reach, but instead Forest took fresh heart from this and back they came again, levelling for a second time just moments later courtesy of Chalobah's header from Reid's corner.

Both teams created half-chances to win the game, with the best falling to goal-scorer Morison deep into injury-time, but he was unable to connect cleanly with the ball and his effort bobbled wide.

Millwall:  Beevers (2mins), Martin (50mins)Bookings:
Forde, Dunne, Malone, Abdou, Robinson, Beevers, Martin (Feeney, 75mins), Trotter, Woolford (McDonald, 86mins), Waghorn (Keogh, 68mins), Morison. Subs not used: Bywater, Smith, Shittu, Easter. 
 Morison (8mins), Woolford (56mins)Scorers:

Nottingham Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Harding, Chalobah (Abdoun, 83mins), Lansbury, Reid, Mackie (Derbyshire, 76mins), Halford, Jara, Hobbs, Cox. Subs not used: De Vries, Greening, Paterson, Majewski, Osbourn.
Booking: Hobbs (81mins)
Scorers: Reid (37mins), Chalobah (66mins)

Ref: D. Whitestone
 9,029 (away 850)Att:

Advertisement block