Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Nottingham Forest 2 Millwall 1 (aet)

28 August 2013

Full-time from the City Ground

Battling Millwall bowed out of the Capital One Cup as Nottingham Forest edged to a narrow win after extra time at the City Ground.

Defending corners again proved to be The Lions' nemesis as they were twice punished by set-pieces.

After a goal-less first-half Matt Derbyshire (58mins)  powered home a header from  Jamie Paterson's corner to put Forest 1-0 up, only for Andy Keogh to grab a deserved leveller with five minutes remaining when he diverted Liam Feeney's shot beyond keeper Dorius De Vries.

Unfortunately Millwall's current inability to defend from corners was capitalised on for a second time when another Paterson delivery was headed back across goal by sub Dexter Blackstock and Lascelles climbed highest to head home.

Whilst it was disappointing to exit the Cup at such an early stage, The Lions could count themselves unlucky not to be facing a Third Round trip to Burnley.

There were positives for manager Steve Lomas to take from the match as his Lions side give their high-flying Forest opponents a real run for their money.

Home keeper De Vries was called into action after 10 minutes when a lovely threaded pass by Feeney picked out Lee Martin on the right. He in turn wove his way into the danger zone and slipped the ball to Martyn Woolford, but the latter's shot lacked power and was comfortably held by the keeper.

De Vries was called into action, making the best save of the opening half when he tipped Scott McDonald's sweetly struck shot on the turn from 25 yards round at full stretch, whilst a great defensive block by Lions skipper Paul Robinson denied Simon Cox.

Nicky Bailey twice saw long-range efforts blocked by the Forest defence as Millwall finished the first-half in the ascendancy.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the second period too - and what an opportunity it was - but McDonald contrived to curl the ball wide after great work by Woolford from 10 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Just four minutes later Forest had taken the lead when Paterson's quickly taken corner caught the visiting defence napping and Derbyshire took full advantage by sending a thumping header past Stephen Bywater in the Millwall goal.

It could have been game over when Forest sub Ishmael Miller drove into the penalty area but was denied by a brilliant block from keeper Bywater on 66 minutes.

But credit to Millwall who kept plugging away and creating a handful of chances themselves with Feeney and Woolford going closest to equalising with long-range efforts.

However Millwall finally got the leveller that they deserved with just five minutes of normal time remaining; sub John Marquis' shot was blocked and when the ball eventually fell to Feeney, he fired in an effort from 25 yards that Keogh diverted past De Vries and into the back of the net.

It took Forest just four minutes to score in the first period of extra time when for once again the Millwall defence failed to deal with a corner enabling Lascelles to head home from close range.

Millwall's best chance of levelling the game came almost immediately when skipper Paul Robinson's header flashed narrowly wide of the post.

Then both Malone and Woolford drew fine saves from the increasingly busy De Vries as The Lions kept pressing for that elusive second goal.

But Forest held firm and Millwall again reaped no reward from a fine display at the City Ground and were left to pay a heavy price for those defensive lapses.

Nottingham Forest: De Vries, Harding, Gillett, Collins, Moussi, Lascelles, Jara, Paterson, Derbyshire (Miller,66mins), Cox (Blackstock,60mins, Abdoun (Halford, 77mins). Subs not used: Guedioura, Reid, Majewski, Alrashidi.

Bookings: Abdoun (38mins), Moussi (42mns, Lachelles (100mins)

Scorers: Derbyshire (58mins), Lascells (94mins)

Millwall: Bywater, Smith, Malone, Abdou, Robinson, Beevers, Martin (Marquis, 62mins), Woolford, Bailey (Chaplow, 71mins, McDonald (Keogh, 62mins), Feeney. Subs not used: Marshall, Dunne, Henry, Osborne.

Booking: Abdou (32mins)

Scorer: Keogh (85mins)

Ref: M.Heywood
Att:12,201 (way 179)

Advertisement block