Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/04/2013

1 April 2013

Full-time from The Den

Millwall claimed their fourth league point of the Easter weekend and at the same time extended their unbeaten run to five games with a goal-less draw against Ipswich Town on Monday.
A late goal from Alan Dunne clinched victory at Leicester City on Friday night and The Lions did everything but score as they looked to follow up that win with another at the expense of Mick McCarthy's Ipswich.
Left-back Shane Lowry hit the woodwork and Jermaine Easter squandered two glorious chances as Kenny Jackett's men pushed for a deserved winner.
The Lions boss made two changes to the side that started at Leicester, bringing back Mark Beevers following suspension and handing John Marquis a place up front with Adam Smith and Rob Hulse dropping to the bench respectively.
However it was former Tractor Boy Liam Trotter who struck the game's first chance in the opening minute, curling a 25-yard half-volley a foot wide of Scott Loach's post.
Andy Keogh then had the ball in the back of the net on five minutes touching home Easter's cross from close range, but he had strayed offside and the 'goal' was rightly ruled out.
Generally though, both teams struggled to adapt to the windy conditions but it was Millwall who looked more likely to engineer a goal.
Lowry fired wide from a set-piece, Marquis charged down Luke Chambers' clearance but was let down by his second touch and then Keogh's deep cross-shot dropped on the top of the crossbar as The Lions asked questions of the visiting defence.
But it was Ipswich who went closest to breaking the deadlock in the opening half when Forde raced to clear the danger, the ball fell to Luke Hyam inside the centre circle and his looping goalbound shot hung in the air just long enough for defender Beevers to head clear from infront of the goal-line.
Jackett introduced Hulse for Marquis at the start of the second half and he nearly made a spectacular impact, seeing his close range shot from a Lowry free-kick palmed away by keeper Loach.
At the other end Town created a decent scoring opportunity of their own when Richard Cresswell's ball was flicked into the path of Michael Chopra at the far post but he was unable to keep his header down.
Frank Nouble then fired wastefully over after David Forde did well to block Jay Emmanuel-Thomas' left-foot strike and Chopra again failed to take advantage of an opening as the visitors woke from their slumber.
However it was Millwall who could have wrapped up the points with a hat-trick of chances in the final quarter of an hour.
Lowry's sweetly struck free-kick smacked the foot of the post with Loach beaten and then Easter fired over from eight yards when he was picked out by a delicious pass from sub Liam Feeney.
Easter - and The Lions - knew it was not going to be their day in the 91st minute when the striker capitalised on an error by Chambers and opted to go for goal instead of squaring to the unmarked Hulse, who had moved into a central position. Unfortunately Easter's shot flew the wrong side of Loach's post and with that went Millwall's last real opportunity to secure all three points.


Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Lowry, J.Smith (St Ledger, 82mins), Shittu, Beevers, Chaplow, Trotter, Easter, Marquis (Hulse, 46mins), Keogh (Feeney, 69mins). Subs: M.Taylor, A.Smith, Abdou, Woolford.
Bookings: Chaplow (4mins), Marquis (6mins), Trotter (64mins)

Ipswich Town: Hyam (44mins), N'Daw (49mins)Bookings:
Loach, Cresswell, Chambers, Steadman, N'Daw, Emmanuel-Thomas, Chopra (Edwards, 74mins), Martin (Tabb, 85mins), Hyam, T.Smith, Nouble. Subs not used: Hewitt, Kisnorbo, Lee-Barrett, McGoldrick, Murphy.


K. StroudRef:

10,141 (away 1,047)Att:

Advertisement block