Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Millwall U18s 2 Swansea City U18s 2

23 September 2012

Full-time score from Calmont Road

Honours ended up even in a pulsating game as The Lions and Swans shared four goals at Calmont Road on Saturday morning.

Millwall U18s 2 Swansea City U18s 2

Both Niall McManus and Twum saw their strikes from distance fizz passed the uprights and Twum was involved in Millwall's next attack, setting up Penny for a close range strike that was parried away by the keeper.
Callaghan fired over an inswinging corner from the left which was missed by both defenders and attackers and almost crept in by the far post and minutes later a glancing header by Penny was agonisingly wide of the upright.
The Swans responded immediately and within five minutes were back on level terms as Conor Roberts latched onto a crossfield pass on the edge of the Millwall 18-yard box and let fly with an unstoppable strike passed keeper Beadle. Following a period of stalemate during the middle stages of the first period The Lions once again began asking all the questions going forward.
The Lions finally made an attack pay off on 10 minutes when midfielder Khari Oregun played the ball out to the left and into the path of Jason Twum who in turn made ground and fired in a great strike across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.
Play swung quickly up the other end where only a smart stop by Millwall keeper Tom Beadle prevented an early breakthrough by the away side.
It was an all action start to the match by both sides in the early encounters as Connor Callaghan's short pass found Charlie Penny in the Swans area, but his low drive was blocked away for a corner by the visiting keeper. Millwall recovered their composure and worked their way back into the game.
The Lions had central defender Sid Nelson to thank for denying Swansea a third goal just moments later, making a vital challenge and clearance as the ball bobbled along the goal line.
Unfortunately Millwall were caught cold at the start of the second period and within a minute of the restart Corrie Francis fired the visitors ahead, forcing the ball over the goal line following a goalmouth scramble. Millwall pushed forward in search of a late winner, and despite forcing a succession of corners - one of which saw Max Fitzgerald's header clip the woodwork -  
Callaghan went close again with a rasping drive that flew narrowly over and then saw a 75th-minute goal ruled out for handball. However, he was not going to be denied the goal that his, and Millwall's, display deserved and when Twum played him through with 10 minutes remaining, Callaghan despatched a low finish into the bottom corner to level up at 2-2.
The chances kept coming and Penny, having been played in by Callaghan, saw his effort blocked on the line as Millwall turned the screw.
Callaghan fired in a fierce drive which the keeper did well to save and then Connor Wilkinson, who replaced the injured McManus on 50 minutes, hit a stinging shot wide. Team:
The Lions had to be content with a share of the spoils as Swansea held on. Tom Beadle, Keaton Wood, Mitchell Hunter, Ben Thompson, Sid Nelson, Max Fitzgerald, Connor Callaghan, Khari Oregun, Charlie Penny, Niall McManus inj (Connor Wilkinson, 50mins), Jason Twum.Subs not used: Joe Guinchard, Tom Wellham, Ritchie Danquae, Callum Thompson. 

Advertisement block