Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Millwall U18s 1 Ipswich Town U18s 1

10 November 2012

Full-time score from Calmont Road

Millwall's U18s overcame an early set-back to secure a share of the spoils against Ipswich Town in a keenly contested game at Calmont Road on Saturday morning.
The Lions opened brightly and could have been a goal to the good just minutes into the game when striker Charlie Penny was inches away from getting a touch to Jason Twum’s cross from the left.
And in the home side's next attack Connor Callaghan’s cross was almost sliced into his own net by Ipswich defender Jonny Leddy.
However the visitors took the lead against the run of play on six minutes when Jack Marriott fired home from the penalty spot after a foul on the Town skipper by a Lions defender. 
From that point up to the break, the game was played almost entirely in the Ipswich half as Millwall launched a succession of attacks in pursuit of the equaliser. Connor Wilkinson fired into the Ipswich side netting having been set up by Twum and minutes later Wilkinson was again involved as his free-kick grazed the Ipswich upright and angle.
Wilkinson was also desperately unlucky on 20 minutes when Penny chested the ball into his path but his strike was blocked on the line by a defender after the ball had already beaten goalkeeper Michael Crowe. 
The Lions kept pressing forward and it took a superb save by the keeper to deny Penny nine minutes before half-time, scrambling his effort clear when the young striker was clean through in a one-on-one situation.
Millwall's pressure finally paid off two minutes after the break when a lofted forward pass from Mitchell Hunter was picked up by Wilkinson. The young striker did well to control the ball, outpaced George Fowler and coolly slotted beyond the reach of keeper Crowe. 
Millwall continued to ask questions of the Ipswich rearguard and when Penny was brought down inches from the 18 yard line, Danny Newman’s fierce free-kick was blocked by the Ipswich wall.
At the other end Lions stopper Tom Wellham produced a super 60th-minute save to avert the danger and shortly after Callum Thompson, who had replaced the injured Penny just minutes earlier, just failed to get a touch in front of goal to a deft Twum cross.
In the latter stages of the match both teams went in search of a winner; Wilkinson fired wide having been supplied by Niall McManus. Callaghan also saw his effort blocked following good play involving Wilkinson and Hunter.
Remarkably Ipswich almost snatched a winner at the end when, following a corner, Marriott's header rebounded off The Lions crossbar and away to safety. 

Millwall:Wellham, Newman, Hunter, McManus, Fitzgerald, De Havilland, Callaghan, Oriogun, Penny (Thompson, 65mins), Wilkinson, Twum. Subs not used: Nelson, Beadle, Wood, Danquau.

Ipswich Town:Crowe, Hammond, Robinson, Berkance, Fowler, Leddy, Winter, Willbye, Marriott. Clarke, Timlin. Subs not used: Merkele, Marsden, Galvin, Showumni, Henry.

Advertisement block