Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Jan 12 at 15:44 PM

Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Millwall 0

Millwall and Dagenham & Redbridge will have to play it all over again on 17th January after the two teams drew a blank in Saturday's goalless FA Cup Third Round clash.
Kenny Jackett's men were given an uncomfortable time by their League Two opponents, who showed plenty of enthusiasm and effort throughout.
"I'm not displeased with the result," said Jackett.
"It was a potential Cup giant-killing, but we live to fight another day. Where we struggled was in Dagenham's half. We had lots of the ball, but didn't do enough with it."
The highlight for the 1,296 travelling fans congregated in the Traditional Builders Stand was clearly the appearance of striker Shaun Batt, who came on for the final seven minutes for his first senior action since damaging his cruciate ligaments 18 months ago.
It has been a long, long road back to recovery for Batt, but the warm, sincere cheer he received not only when he entered the fray replacing Harry Kane, but at the end of the game when the players left the field too, was a heartening sound.
Batt was the last Lions player to leave the field, and was clearly moved by the standing ovation he received from the Lions supporters.
Unfortunately it was to be no fairytale ending for the popular frontman though, as Millwall were unable to find their way through a resilient Daggers rearguard in an evenly contested clash.
Whilst Millwall enjoyed the better possession in the opening half, the Achilles heel of not scoring goals was in evidence once again as Jackett's men just could not add to the paltry seven scored on their travels this season.
James Henry, back in the starting line-up in place of Hamer Bouazza, tested Chris Lewington early on with a low freekick from 25 yards that saw the keeper produce a routine save.
Skipper Paul Robinson headed a Henry corner wide on 24 minutes before Liam Feeney sent an angled drive wide from a great position following excellent work by Liam Trotter.
Henry and Kane combined to set up John Marquis, but the young striker's shot dropped onto the roof of the net before keeper Lewington claimed the ball mid-air from an inviting Henry freekick with Marquis waiting to pounce.
Daggers had a first-half chance of their own too when loanee Ahmed Abdulla went close with a shot from the edge of the box that drifted wide.
Six minutes after the break Brian Woodall nearly capitalised on a Steve Mildenhall miskick, only to see his weak cross shepherded out of play by right-back Alan Dunne.
Mildenhall twice denied Micky Spillane from set-pieces as the home side grew in confidence as the game wore on.
Millwall endeavoured to break the deadlock too. Marquis fired into the side netting before both Kane and Trotter failed to make the most of opportunities, the former heading straight into Lewington's hands from a pinpoint Scott Barron delivery and the latter powering a free header over from another delivery by the left-back.
Lions boss Jackett introduced Josh McQuoid for Marquis, and then soon after Batt's introduction was met by the loudest cheer of the afternoon on his long-awaited return.
Unfortunately Batt's team-mates were unable to conjure up that all-important goal and the two teams will meet at The Den again on Tuesday 17th January, subject to TV.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Doe, Nurse, Wearen (Reed, 65mins), Ogogo, Woodall, Bingham, Ilesanmi, Green, Spillane, Abdulla. Subs not used: Hogan, McCrory, Rose, Arber, Edmans, Green.

Millwall: Mildenhall, Dunne, Barron, Smith, Robinson, Ward, Henry, Trotter, Marquis (McQuoid, 73mins), Kane (Batt, 82mins), Feeney (Bouazza, 60mins). Subs not used: Forde, Craig, Wright, Abdou.
Booking: Robinson (67mins)

Ref: G. Salisbury
Att: 3,392 (away 1,296)

    Latest Match Reports