Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Sep 11 at 22:07 PM

Wolves 5 Millwall 0

Wolverhampton Wanderers' Premiership quality told as they brushed aside a much-changed Millwall outfit to reach round four of the Carling Cup.
Lions boss Kenny Jackett handed starts to Jack Smith and Tony Craig at the back, James Henry and Alan Dunne in midfield, Dany N'Guessan in attack and Steve Mildenhall in goal.
And it was Mildenhall who was picking the ball out of his net inside three minutes. Hesitant defending allowed David Edwards to poke a close range shot underneath the Lions keeper from a tight angle.
Wolves doubled their lead just three minutes later. Dunne gave away a cheap free-kick 25 yards out and up stepped Adam Hammill to bend the ball over the wall and into the far corner beyond the diving Mildenhall.
A timely slip from Darren Ward let in Wolves again but just as Stephen Hunt was about the pull the trigger, back came Jimmy Abdou to produce a sublime bit of defending to stop the ex-Reading man a certain goal. It buoyed The Lions and better play saw the ball quickly worked up the field to the feet of Hamer Bouazza. His low drive, however, was comfortably dealt with by Dorus De Vries.
Millwall looked to be getting a foothold in the game as N'Guessan wriggled free on the edge of the 18 yard box but as he shaped to shoot, Wolves left-back George Elokobi dived in to block the danger.
The Cameroonian defender would be rewarded with a goal on 38 minutes. Fine work from Adlene Guedioura saw the Algerian shimmy his way past three defenders before squaring the ball to Elokobi who could not miss from four yards.
N'Guessan then stung the palms of De Vries before Dunne nodded a James Henry corner onto the roof of the net as the first half drew to a close.
As the rain started to fall, the first chance of the second period fell Millwall's way as Henry tried his luck from distance and the wet ball skidded out of the hands of De Vries. Luckliy for the Dutchman, he recovered in time to smother the ball before the onrushing John Marquis could tuck it home.
Back came Wolves and half-time substitute Michael Kightly raced clear only to be denied by a recovering Ward and Mildenhall.
The Lions' keeper then threw himself to his left to palm away a Kightly drive as the home side went in search of more goals.
They got them late on, as first Wolves sub James Spray bundled home then Guedioura took aim from 30 yards and rifled an unstoppable shot into the corner leaving Mildenhall stranded to put the seal on a comfortable win and leaving The Lions without a goal in five matches.

Wolves: De Vries, Doherty, Stearman, Berra, Elokobi, Hammill (Jarvis, 86mins), Edwards (Kightly, 46mins), Milijas, Hunt (Spray, 73mins), Vokes, Guedioura. Subs not used: Hennessey, K. Henry, S.Ward, O'Hara.
Scorers: Edwards (3mins), Hammill (6mins), Elokobi (38mins), Spray (78mins), Guedioura (88mins)

Millwall: Mildenhall, Smith, Stewart, Dunne, Ward, Craig, Abdou, Bouazza (Barron, 46mins), Marquis, N'Guessan (O'Brien, 73mins), Henry. Subs not used: Forde, Robinson, Purse, Trotter, Alabi.
Bookings: Bouazza (44mins)

Ref: K. Wright
Att: 7,749 (away 329)

    Latest Match Reports