Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Dec 11 at 18:06 PM

Hull City 2 Millwall 0

Millwall's poor away record continued as Hull City struck twice in the second-half to send The Lions sliding to their seventh defeat on the road this season.
Having more than held their own for 54 minutes, Kenny Jackett's patched up side conceded when Jack Smith unfortunately turned the ball into his own net before Robert Koren struck the decisive second from 18 yards with 10 minutes remaining.
The All Four One community choir provided the entertainment prior to kick-off, and it was very much a case of all for one, one for all as The Lions battled but left the KC Stadium with nothing to show for their efforts.
Few amongst the hardy band of Millwall fans could fault the level of application and effort of their team, but a combination of bad luck, poor finishing and more injury misery turned mission improbable against the in-form Tigers into mission impossible.
"The score may be the same as the Leeds game, but the performance was very different," said Kenny. "We created a number of good opportunities, but went behind to an unfortunate own goal and then Robert Koren's excellent strike really took the game away from us.
Henderson had two good efforts, Robinson hit the post and James Henry had a good position too.
We created a lot of chances, but you need to take those chances."
Boss Jackett was forced to field a new-look midfield with injuries robbing him of lynchpins Jimmy Abdou and Liam Trotter.
In came Brian Howard and Alan Dunne, who slotted in at right-back with Smith moving forward into the engine room.
With striker Jay Simpson unable to play against his parent club, Liam Feeney played just off frontman Darius Henderson in attack.
It was the visitors who created the first half-chance on seven minutes when Howard slipped the ball to Smith, but his drive from distance flew well wide of the target.
Henderson also headed over from a deep Feeney cross whilst a quick free-kick on 13 minutes by Paul McKenna caught The Lions napping. But thankfully Cameron Stewart's low cross was too far in front of Matt Fryatt, who had strayed offside anyway.
Fryatt had a great opportunity to break the deadlock three minutes later following a quick break involving Corry Evans and Liam Rosenoir, who threaded the ball through to Fryatt. By the time the former Leicester man had got the ball under control good defensive work had forced him wider, and although he squeezed in a shot Lions keeper Steve Mildenhall produced a smart save to avert the danger.
Jackett was forced to make a change on 26 minutes when left-back Nathan Baker went off with a knee injury sustained whilst challenging Stewart.
On came Jordan Stewart, who himself later hobbled off having only just returned from injury.
The Lions carved out a couple more chances just before the break with Smith firing wide from a central position following good work by Feeney and James Henry, whilst home keeper Peter Gulacsi made a save at full stretch to turn Howard's free-kick round the post for a corner.
Hull forward Aaron Mclean tested Steve Mildenhall in the visiting goal four minutes after the break, but the keeper was well positioned and collected comfortably.
However, Mildenhall was picking the ball out of the back of his net on 54 minutes when a misunderstanding between him and Alan Dunne enabled Koren to nip in and play the ball back across the face of goal where Smith sliced horribly into his own net from close range.
Hull really should have put the game beyond Millwall's reach with a second goal just moments later, but thankfully James Chester sent a free header wide of the target from Andy Dawson's cross.
The Lions could have levelled just past the hour mark when Feeney's inviting cross from the right was met by Henderson, but Gulacsi did well to save.
Jackett's men kept plugging away against a Hull side that played some neat football, but didn't really seem to trouble Millwall much.
A quick Lions break led to Henry eventually firing over and then Feeney and Henry combined once more on the right before the latter's flat delivery into the danger zone was hacked clear.
Three Millwall corners in quick succession so nearly provided the equaliser as first skipper Paul Robinson hit the woodwork and then Henderson's follow-up was cleared off the line.
But it was Hull who struck the second, killer goal with the clock heading towards the 80th minute.
A huge clearance by keeper Gulacsi was headed away Robinson into the path of Koren, who showed great technique to hit a low daisycutter into the bottom corner giving Mildenhall no chance.
There was to be no way back for The Lions, for whom manager Jackett hopes the eight-day break before the next game at home to Portsmouth will provide an opportunity for some of his injured players to return to bolster his squad.

Hull City: Gulacsi, Rosenoir, Chester, Hobbs, Dawson, Koren, McKenna, Evans, C. Stewart (Brady, 78mins), Maclean (Garcia, 83mins, Fryatt. Subs not used: Basso, McShane, Dudgeon.
Scorers: Smith (og, 54mins), Koran (79mins)

Millwall: Mildenhall, Dunne, Smith, Baker (Stewart, 26mins (Ward, 63mins)), Robinson, Lowry, Feeney, Howard, Henderson, Barron (Bouazza, 74mins), Henry. Subs not used: Allsop, Marquis.
Booking: Stewart (55mins)

Ref: D.Coote
Att: 17,841

    Latest Match Reports