Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Nov 11 at 22:49 PM

Millwall 3 Coventry City 0

Darius Henderson took his tally to six goals in three games with a second-half brace to send Millwall on their way to a third successive win against struggling Coventry City.
Henderson finally found a way through a resilient Sky Blues rearguard on 52 minutes, adding his - and The Lions' - second after 68 minutes before Liam Feeney put the seal on what was eventually a comfortable win with a third goal eight minutes from time.
"We were listless and flat in the first half," said Lions boss Kenny Jackett, "I asked for a big effort in the second and the players gave it.
We're on a good run and confidence is flowing. We're creating chances and thankfully putting them away, which is pleasing."
Millwall's victory was just reward for their patience following an opening half in which Coventry's spoiling tactics successfully frustrated Kenny Jackett's men.
Possession football it may have been, but by the 19th-minute The Den faithful were already expressing their dissatisfaction with the visitors' overly-cautious approach as yet another succession of passes deep in their own half went from side to side and back again without crossing the halfway line.
Granted, Gary McSheffrey did hit the top of the crossbar with a speculative cross-shot minutes before the break and the same player forced a low save from keeper David Forde on the quarter-hour mark.
But it was The Lions who conjured up the best scoring opportunities of the opening 45 minutes.
On four minutes Forde's precise clearance picked out Feeney on the right, who chested the ball down and sprinted past Richard Wood. Feeney's curling delivery was met by Henderson at the far post, but the striker's looping header dropped onto the roof of the net.
Feeney then scooped over from 16 yards following good work by Brian Howard and Jack Smith and then Henderson let fly with a fierce shot on the turn from fully 30 yards that stung the hands of Sky Blues keeper Joe Murphy.
Alan Dunne saw his drive deflected for a corner and then Jimmy Abdou's goalbound shot was blocked by Richard Keogh following a quick Millwall break as the home side pressed forward.
Another quick forward foray four minutes before the break nearly paid off when referee David Phillips waved play on following a foul on Feeney. Liam Trotter picked up the ball on the right and powered forward before despatching a low cross just a tad too close to the keeper, who gathered at his near post.
Boss Jackett introduced James Henry for Howard at half-time and within seven minutes of the restart Henderson latched onto a superb through ball from Trotter and his shot took a deflection on its way past Murphy and into the back of the net.
There was a heart-in-mouth moment three minutes later when McSheffrey went to ground rather easily under pressure from Abdou, but the howls of amazement from some of the home support who thought ref Phillips had pointed to the spot soon turned to cheers of relief as he had, in fact, pointed for a goal-kick!
Millwall doubled their tally with 22 minutes remaining when Henderson wormed his way through the Sky Blues defence after again being played in by Trotter, and despatched a superb left foot shot that gave Murphy no chance.
Trotter completed his hat-trick of assists to put Feeney through and the diminutive winger did the rest, finishing with aplomb for his second goal in as many games.
It could have been even worse for the Sky Blues as Lions sub Dany N'Guessan nearly scored with his first touch, only to see James McPake deflect his shot for a corner.
Darren Ward then came within a whisker of converting Henry's inviting delivery in the dying moments as Millwall pressed forward in search of a fourth goal.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne. Smith, Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Howard (Henry, 46mins), Trotter, Henderson (N'Guessan, 6mins), Simpson (Mkandawire, 76mins), Feeney. Subs not used: Mildenhall. McQuoid.
Scorer: Henderson (52, 68mins), Feeney (82mins)

Coventry City: Murphy, Keogh, Cameron, Wood, McPake, Clingan, Baker (Thomas, 87mins), McSheffrey (Bell, 83mins), Deegan (Platt, 70mins), Jutkiewicz, McDonald. Subs not used: Christie, Dunn.

Ref: D. Phillips
Att: 9,517 (away 386)

    Latest Match Reports