Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Oct 11 at 18:19 PM

Millwall 4 Ipswich Town 1

Jay Simpson's double strike secured back-to-back Championship wins for Millwall for the first time this season with a four-goal thumping of Ipswich Town at The Den.
Loan striker Simpson fired a fifth-minute opener and Darius Henderson put The Lions firmly in the driving seat with barely nine minutes on the clock.
Jimmy Bullard was given the freedom of the home defence to reduce the arrears on 65 minutes, before Liam Feeney made it 3-1 after 73 minutes and Simpson put the game beyond Town's reach with a fourth a couple of minutes later.
"It was a great result, and I've got to say a terrfic game," enthused Lions boss Kenny Jackett.
"Ipswich have so many threats but it was a resounding win for us. We've made a start and now we must keep it going."
Jackett stuck with the same starting XI that thumped Leicester City 3-0 last weekend, with Henderson and Simpson again spearheading The Lions attack.
And the growing understanding between the duo was plain for all to see as they gave the visiting defence a torrid time throughout.
With Brian Howard pulling the strings in midfield and Feeney outstanding on the right, Jackett's men were simply too powerful and pacey for Paul Jewell's side, especially on the counter attack. Quite simply, what a difference one win can make!
Millwall got off to a perfect start scoring the opening goal with just five minutes on the clock. The irrepressible Feeney dipped into his bag of tricks and produced asublime piece of skill on the flank whipping over an inviting cross for Simpson. The frontman's initial shot was blocked by keeper David Stockdale, as was Henderson's follow-up effort before Simpson finally made it count at the third time of asking, smashing the ball home from eight yards.
Less than three minutes later the lead was doubled when former Town trainee Liam Trotter powered forward before slipping the ball to the on-running Simpson. Although his angled drive was beaten away by Stockdale, Henderson was quickest to the loose ball and slammed home the rebound.
Town made the first of two substitutions in the opening half when Lee Bowyer walked off the pitch with what seemed to be an ankle problem, and with Manchester City right-back Reece Wabara introduced in his place, the visitors moved Carlos Edwards into midfield.
Jason Scotland mustered their first and only real chance of the half with an audacious chip that dropped wide of the post after Lions keeper David Forde raced out of his goal to head away a long Kennedy upfield punt.
Town suffered a second injury set-back when defender Ibrahima Sonko limped off to be replaced by Ivar Ingimarsson.
Not surprisingly it was Millwall, playing with real freedom and confidence, who were within a whisker of making it 3-0 just before the hour mark. Simpson's rasping angled drive smacked the woodwork and when the ball fell invitingly for Howard, the midfielder's fierce far-post volley was somehow kept out by Stockdale.
Town reduced the arrears against the run of play midway through the half when Bullard was given time and space to skip through an unusually static home defence and slot past keeper Forde.
Any hope Jewell's men had of hauling themselves level were quickly crushed as Millwall merely stepped up a gear and exerted a period of intense pressure to which Town had no answer.
Feeney capped his Man of the Match winning display with his first goal at The Den, firing home in style after good work by Simpson on 73 minutes.
Sixty seconds later defender Darren Ward produced an exquisite piece of skill on the left flank to work his way out of a tight position and earn rapturous applause from The Den faithful.
And the home fans - who were in fine voice throughout - were on their feet again 15 minutes from time courtesy of Simpson's second, and Millwall's fourth, a clinical low finish that gave Stockdale no chance.
Millwall could have added a fifth soon after when Simpson shot straight at Stockdale when he might have squared to the unmarked Howard before Keith Andrews rattled the bar with a thunderous 25-yarder at the other end.
But there was to be no second goal for the visitors, or indeed a way back as The Lions comfortably saw out the remainder of the game for a thoroughly deserved victory.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Smith, Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Howard (Henry, 89mins), Trotter, Henderson, Simpson (Mkandawire, 86mins), Feeney (N'Guessan, 90+2mins). Subs not used: Mildenhall, Agyemang.
Scorers: Simpson (5, 75mins), Henderson (9mins), Feeney (73mins)

Ipswich Town: Stockdale, Leadbitter, Kennedy, Edwards (Emmanuel-Thomas, 62mins) Andrews, Sonko (nvermarsson, 39mns), Collins, Bullard, Bowyer (Wabara, 18mins), Chopra, Scotland. Subs not used: Barrett, Ellington.
Scorer: Bullard (65mins)

Ref: G. Salisbury
Att: 12,464 (away 1,608)

    Latest Match Reports