Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Aug 11 at 17:41 PM

Millwall 0 Barnsley 0

Millwall were left wondering what might have been after failing to beat a battling Barnsley side in a dour Den draw.
No-one would have felt the frustration more than manager Kenny Jackett, who was an animated figure on the sidelines as he watched his men huff and puff without producing an end product.
Striker Josh McQuoid will have sleepless nights having missed a golden opportunity to fire The Lions ahead after 15 minutes, but he screwed his effort wide of an open goal from no more than a couple of yards.
Lions boss Jackett was honest in his assessment of proceedings stating: "I didn't think we were troubled defensively, but we were lacking going forward.
We lacked energy and quality and had three or four of the best chances.
We need to do better."
There were three changes to the side that beat Morecambe on Tuesday night with keeper David Forde replacing Steve Mildenhall between the sticks, Paul Robinson replacing Tony Craig at the back and Darius Henderson taking John Marquis' place up front.
In a poor first-half for The Lions, scoring opportunities were few and far between.
It was Keith Hill's Barnsley outfit who looked more comfortable in possession and produced a compact display, making good use of the ball but lacking any real cutting edge in the final third of the field.
Ironically there were two glorious opportunities for Millwall to establish a lead before the break.
Whilst Abdou's low shot was brilliantly blocked by visiting keeper Luke Steele on 40 minutes, The Lions really should already have been a goal to the good.
McQuoid missed a gilt-edged chance with 15 minutes on the clock. Strike partner Henderson did well to create space on the left and picked out McQuoid at the far post, but he somehow contrived to steer the ball wide of the mark from no more than six yards.
At the other end Lions stopper Forde had little to do as Barnsley offered limited threat other than a low fizzer from Stephen Foster that flashed wide.
The second half was unfortunately as uninspiring as the first, without much for the 10,033 crowd to get excited about.
James Henry, who later hobbled off with what appeared to be a groin injury, was inches away with a sweetly struck 20-yarder that dipped just over the bar.
Despite the home crowd doing their best to lift the team, The Lions struggled to make much headway going forward.
McQuoid had one shot deflected for a corner and then an almighty goalmouth scramble on 66 minutes after sub Marquis had flicked on a Bouazza free-kick saw the ball ricochet inside the danger zone before it appeared to go behind for a corner via the arm of a Barnsley player.
However on an afternoon of immense frustration, and despite howls of protest from the Cold Blow Lane stand, the incident went unsighted by referee David Coote who promptly awarded a goal kick.
The level of frustration cranked up a notch with 15 minutes remaining when skipper Paul Robinson stole in unmarked but was left beating the ground in dismay having failed to connect with Bouazza's teasing free-kick.
Hard-working sub Marquis tried his best to add some urgency up front but at times seemed to be ploughing a lone furrow in an attempt to find a way through a resilient Tykes rearguard.
On the one occasion he did work an opening on the edge of the penalty area, his fierce shot was deflected narrowly for a corner, which again came to nothing.
This was not the type of performance manager Jackett wanted from his team as they prepare to sign off for the international break, but it will give The Lions an opportunity to regroup for a testing September that sees his side play three away games - four including Wolves in the Carling Cup - and just one at The Den against West Ham United.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Stewart (Craig, 90+3mins), Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Bouazza, Mkandawire, Henderson, McQuoid, Henry (Marquis, 60mins). Subs not used: Mildenhall, Smith, O'Brien.
Bookings: Henderson (83mins), Stewart (90+2mins)

Barnsley: Steele, Hassell, Edwards, Foster, Done, Perkins (Haynes,73mins), Wideman, McNulty, Butterfield (O'Brien, 73mins), Drinkwater (McEveley, 81mins), Gray. Subs not used: Preece, Park.
Booking: Hassell (23mins)

Ref: D. Coote
Att: 10,033 (away 302)

    Latest Match Reports