Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 at 23:08 PM

Millwall 2 QPR 0

Millwall kept their Play-Off hopes alive with a stunning victory to topple runaway Championship leaders QPR thanks to second-half goals from Steve Morison and Liam Trotter.
It was a perfect way for The Lions to end a five match run with a victory but a personal nightmare for Hoops defender Danny Shittu, who was sent off on his return to The Den.
Giant Nigerian Shittu spent four months with The Lions before rejoining the West London outfit in January, but was run ragged by his ex-team-mates.
Morison skinned the centre-back for pace before producing a stunning finish to fire Millwall ahead on 63 minutes.
Shittu was then shown a straight red card eight minutes later for bringing the irrepressible Morison down, and up stepped Trotter to wrap up victory from the spot.
"It was a fantastic night," beamed Millwall boss Kenny Jackett, "It was a great game and I really enjoyed it.
It was very satisfying; QPR are a terrific side but we contained them, scored twice and could have scored even more goals."
This was very much a job well done on all fronts for Jackett's side, who found the zip and zest that had been missing in their recent performances. Keeper David Forde set the tone for a thrilling night in SE16 when, with just five minutes on the clock, he produced a wonderful tip-over from Kaspars Gorkss bullet header.
With skipper Paul Robinson absolutely awesome in the heart of defence alongside the cool as you like Darren Ward, Neil Warnock's side were largely restricted to pot shots from distance.
In contrast, at the other end Paddy Kenny had to be at his best to deny Morison after Wayne Routledge lost possession on the halfway line.
Neil Harris was inches away from connecting with a huge Morison throw whilst Tamika Mkandawire rifled narrowly wide from 20 yards.
Robinson was agonisingly close to heading the home side 1-0 up just before the break, but he somehow managed to head over a corner from impressive debutant Andros Townsend from just three yards.
The Den faithful cranked up the volume, and the players responded accordingly by upping the tempo in the second half - and Warnock's side quite simply could not cope as they were battered for the remaining 45 minutes.
Millwall finally broke the deadlock with a cracking effort on 63 minutes. Mkandawire's powerful header forward from a Kenny goal-kick sent Morison sprinting clear, and the frontman hit a rasping drive that flew into the back of the net for his first goal in eight games.
Sub Kevin Lisbie, a 65th-minute replacement for Harris, nearly marked his introduction in spectacular style but, with his first touch, dragged narrowly wide following a slick exchange between Morison and James Henry, who was back to his sparkling best.
There was to be no stopping The Lions though, and Jackett's men doubled their tally 17 minutes from time.
More magic by Henry worked an opening for Morison, and although he kept his balance to steer the ball home, Shittu had already clipped the striker's heels.
The Rangers defender was shown a straight red card by referee Steve Tanner and up stepped Trotter to send Kenny the wrong way from 12 yards.
It was damage limitation for the visitors thereafter, but Millwall had chances to increase their tally with Lisbie forcing a decent save from Kenny, the lively Townsend's neat footwork nearly producing a third goal with a shot saved by the keeper's feet and Morison denied by the busy stopper right at the death.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Craig, Trotter, Robinson, Ward, Townsend, Mkandawire, Harris (Lisbie, 65mins), Morison, Henry. Subs not used: Mildenhall, Eastmond, Schofield, Hackett, Barron, McQuoid.
Scorers: Morison (63mins), Trotter (73mins, pen)

QPR: Kenny, Orr, Hill, Shittu, Derry, Taraabt (Smith, 69mins), Helguson (Chimbonda, 79mins), Buzsaky (Miller, 70mins), Faurlin, Gorkss, Routledge. Subs not used: Hulse, Vagaan Moen, Cerny, Ephriam.
Sent off: Shittu (71mins)

Ref: S. Tanner
Att: 14,104 (away 2,186)

    Latest Match Reports