Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Mar 10 at 22:10 PM

Carlisle United 1 Millwall 3

Steve Morison bagged a brace as Millwall moved up to fifth spot with a comprehensive win at Carlisle United.
The in-form Lions striker took his season's tally to 14 with a goal in each half to put The Lions in a commanding 2-0 lead.
But a 92nd-minute header from Danny Livesey reduced the arrears and looked to be setting up an unnecessary nail-biting finale only for late goal specialist Danny Schofield to make the points safe with a well-worked third for Millwall.
In an entertaining and open encounter, the first chance of the game came after four minutes when David Forde made a tremendous save at full stretch to push away a stinging angled drive from Graham Kavanagh.
The evergreen Carlisle midfielder, who hit a stunning goal against The Lions in the corresponding fixture last season, was pivotal in the opening stages as Carlisle started brightly.
Matty Robson's neat cross was driven wide of the left-hand post by former Lion Scott Dobie before Millwall carved out their first noteworthy effort on goal after eight minutes, only for Liam Trotter's header from a Chris Hackett delivery to hit the back of team-mate Morison and ricochet away.
However Morison kept his head and used it to great effect four minutes later. A huge upfield kick by Forde was flicked on by Shaun Batt to his strike partner, who spotted keeper Adam Collin off his line and despatched an inch-perfect chip from 18 yards into the back of the net for his 13th goal of the season.
Back came Carlisle and it took a great tackle by Tony Craig to eventually avert the danger from Kevin Hurst following a penalty area tussle between the two.
The Lions had a great oppotunity to increase their lead just past the quarter hour mark. A defensive header clear from Morison picked out Batt on the left flank, he in turn slid the ball through to Trotter, who was powering forward with Morison as Millwall outnumbered the home defence three to two. Trotter looked as if he were going to take the ball on and shoot, but instead slipped a sideways pass to Morison. Frustratingly, it hit the back of his heel and a promising move broke down 25 yards out.
The home side responded and a 10-minute spell of pressure midway through the half reaped four corners in quick succession with Dobie's wayward header and a good first-time shot from Adam Clayton Carlisle's best efforts.
At the other end Schofield's firm header from Hackett's cross was plucked out of the air by Collin on 31 minutes before Hackett's free-kick was headed over by Morison.
Keeper Collin was then caught in no-man's land as he came - and failed - to collect a deep free-kick. Referee Graham Salisbury surprisingly deemed that a foul had been committed and Carlisle were awarded a free- themselves
A delightful passage of play involving Schofield and Morison so nearly produced a second goal, but Ian Harte managed to block Schofield's low shot.
Hackett then sent a 20-yarder fizzing a foot wide as The Lions threatened again.
But Carlisle provided a timely reminder just before the break that they too were still very much a threat, and it took a smart stop by Forde from Robson low to the keeper's right to prevent the Carlisle man levelling from close-range.
Morison looked odds-on to fire Millwall 2-0 ahead five minutes after the restart, only to be denied by an instinctive block from Collin, who used his arm to divert the goalbound effort for a corner.
Collin did well to parry Batt's drive, Morison then used great strength before hitting narrowly wide from a great position as Millwall continued to push on in search of a second goal.
It duly arrived 12 minutes from time when Batt and Tony Craig combined well on the left, the ball was played to Hackett who in turn sent an inviting cross that Morison looped over Collin's head.
That should have been that, but Carlisle went for broke in the final 10 minutes and with wide men Hurst and Robson constantly asking questions of the visiting defence, they continued to remain a threat going forward.
A misunderstanding between Forde and Paul Robinson was sorted out by Alan Dunne, who stepped in to tidy up, but the home side finally grabbed a very late lifeline in the second of four minutes of injury-time.
Robson swung over a corner from the left, Livesey's header somehow squirmed over the line despite the desperate attempts of Forde and Jimmy Abdou to clear, and Carlisle were desperate to kick-off again as quickly as possible.
Unfortunately Forde and Carlisle sub Richard Offiong got tangled up, and both men subsequently received yellow cards from the referee.
The delay sorting out that minor squabble merely added to the anxiety for the 200 or so Lions fans at Brunton Park, but any hope Carlisle had of producing a sensational fightback were dashed 60 seconds later.
Sub Scott Barron did well to win possession, threaded a ball down the line to Morison on the left and his low cross was swept home with aplomb by Schofield to put the seal on Millwall's eighth win in the last 10 games - and set things up quite nicely for Saturday's Den derby with Play-Off rivals Charlton Athletic.

Carlisle United: Collin, Horwood, Livesey, Kavanagh, Dobie (Offiiong, 64mins) Robson, Taiwo, Harte, Keogh, Hurst (Marshall, 72mins), Clayton. Subs not used: Gillespie, Bridge-Wilkinson, Murphy, Thirlwell, Kane.
Bookings: Clayton (54mins), Harte (59mins), Offiong (90+mins)
Scorer: Livesey (90+2mins)

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Craig, Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Schofield, Trotter, Batt (Obika, 83mins), Morison, Hackett (Barron, 89mins). Subs not used: Sullivan, Smith, Frampton, Laird, Grimes.
Bookings: Dunne (58mins), Morison (87mins), Forde (90+2mins)
Scorer: Morison (12, 78mins), Schofield (90+4mins)

Ref: Graham Salisbury
Att: 3,853

    Latest Match Reports