Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 09 Dec 09 at 21:57 PM

Millwall 4 Staines Town 0

Millwall handed boss Kenny Jackett the perfect tonic by booking their place in the FA Cup third round with a hard-fought victory against a battling Staines Town side.
Jackett was forced to miss Wednesday night's Den second round replay against the non-Leaguers with a bout of the flu.
But he received a great pick-me-up as goals from Steve Morison (41mins), Jack Smith (50mins), Alan Dunne (82mins) and Danny Schofield (92mins) secured a mouthwatering third round home tie against Derby County.
It was left to Jackett's right hand man Joe Gallen to take charge on the night, although the duo had already decided on a starting XI that saw Lewis Grabban, Smith and Marc Laird restored to the line-up following the woeful weekend display at Hartlepool.
Grabban sent a 22-yarder wide of the post and then forced the first real save of the game on 18 minutes with a smart shot-on-the-turn that keeper Louis Wells held at the second attempt.
Jimmy Abdou and Danny Schofield combined well to set up Laird a couple of minutes later, with the midfielder's stinging shot blocked by Gareth Risbridger for a corner.
Although The Lions dominated in terms of possession, Staines showed signs of what they could do when Ali Chaaban's crisp 24th-minute shot was pushed away by David Forde.
At the other end Chris Hackett sliced wide from 12 yards with the clearest chance of the half, only to hobble off shortly afterwards with Ashley Grimes entering the fray.
The Lions continued to prise and probe in a bid to find a way through a resolute Staines defence, and the deadlock was finally broken four minutes before the break.
Smith's hopeful long upfield punt was picked up by Schofield, he in turn threaded a pass through to Morison, who deftly turned his marker before despatching a precision finish beyond the reach of Wells and into the back of the net.
A cleverly worked free-kick on 42 minutes should have seen The Lions double their tally. Schofield rolled the ball to Grabban who had make a great run into the area, he in turn hit a fierce shot that was parried by the keeper. Grabban returned the loose ball to Paul Robinson, but his close-range effort lacked power and was comfortably held by Wells.
Millwall came flying out of the traps at the start of the second-half and within four minutes had established a two-goal cushion.
Morison turned provider this time, winning the ball from Howard Newton and setting up left-back Smith, who swept home his first goal for Millwall with aplomb.
Grimes was then denied by a brilliant block from the keeper before picking out Morison with a magnificent crossfield ball. Sadly on this occasion the striker's shot flew narrowly wide with Wells stranded,
The game really opened up now with Staines desperate to claw back lifeline in the shape of a goal, and The Lions determined not to let their advantage slip.
Staines introduced Andre Scarlett for the final quarter of the game and within seconds he picked out Simon Jackson, whose deep delivery hit the top of the bar.
Grimes had a great chance to put the result beyond the visitors reach on 70 minutes, only to fire straight at the keeper following intelligent work by Smith.
A mazy run and shot by the influential Schofield was pushed away for a corner as Millwall pressed on once again.
And The Lions didn't have to wait long for a third goal with Schofield's 82nd-minute corner picking out the unmarked Dunne who headed home with ease.
Substitute Adam Bolder helped put the icing on the cake in the second minute of injury-time when, with virtually his first touch of the ball, he played a quick free-kick to Schofield who had time and space to pick his spot, which he did with perfection.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Frampton, Smith, Hackett (Grimes, 35mins), Laird, Abdou (Bolder, 86mins), Schofield, Morison, Grabban. Subs not used: Sullivan, Ward, Price, Fuseini, Hughes-Mason.
Bookings: Robinson (5mins), Dunne (74mins), Abdou (83mins
Scorers: Morison (41mins), Smith (50mins), Dunne (79mins), Schofield (90+2mins)

Staines: Wells, Jackson, Sterling, Gordon, Ifura, Brown (Scarlett, 67mins), Newton (Ahmad, 82mins), Butler (Taylor, 73mins), Risbridger, Griffiths, Chaaban. Subs not used: Courtnage, Thomas, Kamara, Onoche.
Bookings: Sterling (35mins), Butler (62mins)

Referee: Paul Tierney
Att: 3,452

    Latest Match Reports