Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 09 at 19:00 PM

Staines Town 1 Millwall 1

Millwall and Staines Town will have to play it again at The Den on Tuesday 8th December (subject to TV) after this absorbing FA Cup second round encounter ended all square at Wheatsheaf Park.
Pitched against a side three divisions below them, The Lions were made to battle all the way by their gutsy, determined Blue Square South League opponents.
Anyone expecting, quite literally, a walk in the park for Kenny Jackett's League one outfit were left in no doubt that victory in the replay a week on Tuesday is far from a forgone conclusion.
Whilst Staines keeper Louis Wells produced a man of the match display between the sticks, there was no hiding Millwall's lack of a killer touch in front of goal.
Following the disappointment of Tuesday night's draw at Exeter City, The Lions looked bright in the opening stages of this game, forcing a couple of corners in the opening 60 seconds.
Steve Morison forced a flying save from the keeper almost straight from the kick-off and then after three minutes a huge throw by Andy Frampton was flicked on by Morison to Chris Hackett, but he was unable to get a clean connection on the ball.
Hackett was involved again nine minutes later with an effort that keeper Wells touched over for another corner.
But back came Staines and the visiting goal had a double let-off on the quarter-hour mark.
Richard Butler latched onto Ali Chaaban's quickly taken free-kick and appeared to kick the ball out of David Forde's hands before shaping to shoot. Thankfully skipper Paul Robinson was on hand to clear off the line.
From the resulting corner Jackett's men again had to be on top of their defensive game with Alan Dunne perfectly placed to clear Dominic Sterling's goalbound header.
Play swung straight up the other end and Morison really should have done better in a one-on-one with the keeper, but he swept the ball into Wells' hands instead of smashing home the opening goal.
Dunne went close with a stunning 30-yarder that looked destined for the top corner until Wells instinctively flung himself across goal to parry for a corner.
Lions keeper Forde was called into action just before the half-hour mark when Chaaban broke clear, only to see his crisp 12-yard drive tipped round the post.
Millwall were forced to reshuffle their defensive pack with Jack Smith coming on for Frampton, who was forced off with a hand injury.
Boss Jackett made another change at the start of the second half, introducing Lewis Grabban for Jason Price in a bid to add a cutting edge to The Lions play.
Grabban sent a header over the bar soon after the restart, but it was striker partner Morison who was left holding his head in his hands after missing a gilt-edged chance to break the deadlock on 59 minutes.
Hackett was the provider with a pinpoint delivery from the right leaving Morison a golden opportunity four yards out, but to the frontman's horror, he steered the ball wide of the post.
That proved to be Morison's last contribution to proceedings and he was replaced by Ashley Grimes soon after.
Within three minutes of Grimes entering the fray, Millwall finally found a way past a resilient home rearguard.
Hackett swung over a corner from the right and picked out Robinson, who saw his header loop over Wells and into the back of the net.
But the Lions lead was short-lived and when Butler was sent sprawling seemingly by Darren Ward - although Paul Robinson later claimed the referee had told him he was the culprit - eight minutes later.
Up stepped Chaaban to send Forde the wrong way from the resulting spot-kick to level.
Millwall pressed forward with greater urgency thereafter and it took super saves from Wells to thwart Martin, Dunne and Grabban, whilst appeals for a handball following an almighty goalmouth scramble were waved away by referee Anthony Taylor as Jackett's men tried to find a way through for that all important second goal. At the other end Forde also made an important stop to deny Butler.
But Staines - and Wells in particular - withstood that late Lions onslaught leaving the two teams facing a replay in 10 days time.

Staines Town: Wells, Jackson, Sterling, Gordon, Ifura, Brown, Newton, Risbridger, Butler, Chaaban, Griffiths. Subs: Scarlett, Thomas, Taylor, Onochie, Ahmad, Kamara, Courtnage.
Scorer: Chaaban (78mins, pen)

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Frampton (Smith, 33mins), Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Martin, Laird, Morison (Grimes, 66mins), Price (Grabban, 46mins), Hackett. Subs not used: Sullivan, Schofield, Bolder, Fuseini.
Bookings: Morison (12mins), Price (14mins), Robinson (39mins)
Scorer: Robinson (69mins)

Ref: Anthony Taylor
Att: 2,752 (away 700)

    Latest Match Reports