Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Apr 10 at 22:24 PM

Yeovil Town 1 Millwall 1

Jon Obika kept Millwall's automatic promotion hopes alive with a dramatic injury-time equaliser to secure a priceless point at Yeovil.
Kenny Jackett's Lions looked like they were heading towards only their second league defeat in 18 games as they trailed to Dean Bowditch's 26th-minute opener.
But striker Obika, who had two loan spells at Huish Park, returned to haunt his former club when he just got enough of Darren Ward's flick-on to beat keeper Alex McCarthy to the ball and head into an empty net.
It was heartbreaking stuff for the gutsy Glovers and a real get-out-of-jail card for a Lions side that produced one of their flattest displays of the campaign.
Lions boss Jackett made one change to the side that started against Gillingham on Saturday with Neil Harris partnering Steve Morison up front and Shaun Batt filling a role wide on the right with Chris Hackett dropping to the bench.
Batt was The Lions most potent attacking threat in a desperately disappointing opening 45 minutes during which the visitors struggled to show anything like the sort of form that had taken the team into second place in the table.
The Peterborough United loanee screwed wide of the target from Danny Schofield's cross on two minutes and then saw his ninth-minute cross comfortably held by Yeovil keeper McCarthy.
But it was the home side, looking full of energy and enthusiasm, who began to take control of proceedings and ensure that it was an uncomfortable viewing for the 800 travelling fans.
Shaun MacDonald hit a spectacular effort from the right that dipped a foot wide of David Forde's left hand post on 25 minutes as Yeovil began to exert real pressure on the Millwall defence.
However The Lions failed to heed the warning and within 60 seconds Yeovil had taken a deserved lead when Gavin Williams set up Bowditch, who finished crisply from 10 yards.
Williams almost added a second goal three minutes later, only to see his effort flash wide of the target.
At the other end Batt did superbly to control Liam Trotter's lofted pass, but he snatched at his shot and smashed the ball across the face of goal.
Morison headed straight into McCarthy's hands two minutes before the break, but half-time couldn't come quick enough for boss Jackett so he could regroup his troops.
On came Scott Barron for Trotter, who had a tight hamstring, and then eight minutes after the restart Harris was replaced by Obika in a bid to kick-start Millwall into action.
The Lions certainly had a bit more zip and zest about their play, but still struggled to make any real headway.
In fact matters could have been worse for Jackett's men on 65 minutes when MacDonald stormed past Jack Smith but thankfully lashed his shot well wide of the target.
Williams' cheeky quickly taken 66th-minute free-kick dropped a foot wide of the post with The Lions defence still taking up their positions in the danger zone as Yeovil went close again.
With a final throw of the dice Jackett introduced Hackett for Batt and as the minutes ticked away, centre half Darren Ward was pushed up front too in a bid to try and salvage something from the game.
To the despair of the home fans - and sheer delight of the away supporters - that equalising goal duly arrived in the dying seconds.
The Yeovil defence could only half-clear crosses from Craig and then Morison, Ward headed on to Obika and the young Spurs striker strained every sinew in his neck muscles to outjump keeper McCarthy and head home.
Cue wild celebrations - and a huge sense of relief that, on a night when Millwall were far from their best, The Lions were still able to glean what could prove to be a most precious point in the race for automatic promotion.

Yeovil Town: McCarthy, Acock, Caulker, Forbes, Tomlin, Welsh (Downes, 79mins), Bowditch, Williams, Kalala, MacDonald, N.Smith. Subs not used: Murtagh, Martin, Murray, Ayling, Hutchins.
Booking: Smith (68mins)
Scorer: Bowditch (26mins)

Millwall: Forde, J. Smith, Craig, Abdou, Robinson, Ward, Schofield, Trotter (Barron, 46mins), Batt (Hackett, 67mins), Morison, Harris (Obika, 52mins). Subs not used: Sullivan, Fuseini, Laird, Obika, Alexander.
Scorer: Obika (90+4mins)

Ref: Mick Russell
Att: 4,713

    Latest Match Reports