Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 at 18:21 PM

Millwall 0 Carlisle United 0

Millwall twice hit the woodwork but were unable to find that final decisive touch in front of goal to break through a resilient Carlisle rearguard on a frustrating afternoon at The Den.
Following Tuesday's four-goal show against Bournemouth, there was an air of expectancy amongst the 9,055 home crowd.
But unfortunately for Kenny Jackett's side, Carlisle proved far more organised and efficient than Eddie Howe's Cherries had been as the Cumbrians worked tirelessly to earn a share of the spoils.
George Friend was handed his Lions debut in a three-man midfield alongside Ali Fuseini and Chris Hackett, replacing Jimmy Abdou who was sidelined with a slight groin strain.
But it was the visitors who asked early questions of the home defence, with Joe Anyinsah's angled snap-shot held at the second attempt by keeper David Forde after just 41 seconds.
In a lively opening 45 minutes The Lions created a number of half-chances, but without really testing former Den keeper Lenny Pidgeley in the Carlisle goal.
Hackett's 10th-minute free-kick picked out Gary Alexander at the far post, but the striker's downward header was comfortably held by Pidgeley.
Neil Harris looked to have fired Millwall ahead seconds later with a thunderous volley from another Hackett delivery, however his effort crashed into the side netting.
Alexander twice tested Pidgeley from distance with low shots, but although they were on target, both efforts lacked real power.
It was birthday boy Alexander, 30 today, who again went close in first-half injury-time with a looping header from Hackett's dinked delivery that dropped onto the roof of the net.
Steve Morison looked odds-on to have opened his goal account for Millwall eight minutes after the restart. The former Stevenage striker produced some delightful footwork to bamboozle the visiting defence, only to see his curling effort hit with the outside of his right boot, smack the foot of the post.
The Lions had a real let-off on 66 minutes when Taiwo somehow miscued from six yards with an almost apologetic effort that Forde caught easily.
Boss Jackett introduced Dave Martin for Alexander, and the move nearly paid off handsomely with 10 minutes remaining.
Alan Dunne's header out of defence was picked up by Harris, he in turn sent Martin sprinting away in space down the left. Martin cut into the area, but his curling cross-shot clipped the bar with Morison thwarted in his attempt to slam home the loose ball.
Martin's glancing header from a Hackett free-kick was again comfortably dealt with by Pidgeley seven minutes from time with what proved to be The Lions' last real chance of the game.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Barron, Fuseini, Frampton, Smith, Friend, Harris, Alexander (Martin, 62mins), Morison, Hackett (Price, 73mins). Subs not used: Sullivan, Grimes, Bolder, Laird, Craig.
Booking: Fuseini (37mins)

Carlisle United: Pidgeley, Raven, Bridge-Wilkinson (Madine, 72mins), Livesey, Anyinsah, Kavanagh, Dobie, Robson, Taiwo, Harte, Keogh. Subs not used: Collin, Horwood, Rothery, Tinnion, Burns, Kane.
Bookings: Pidgeley (33mins), Raven (48mins), Harte (71mins)

Ref: Darren Deadman
Att: 9,055 (away 316)

    Latest Match Reports